VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving a VM to a new site

Hi,

We have a VM on ESX 5, the machine is near 2TB in size. This machine is a SQL server.

We need to move this server to a new ESX server at a new site in aother country.

What are the options avalible to me to move this machine?

I was thinking copying All the VM related files to a USB3 HDD and shiiping this out. The other end copies the files to the SAN and registers the machine.

Any help appriciated..

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

This will work as expected and its easiest option. Make sure your check the md5 checksum Number in the source and destination.

There is another method,

If there is a feasiability do a storage replication between site and register the VM there.

But involves complex setup.Take a backup of database and restore there in the other end. However this is a traditional method.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What size link do you have between the sites? you just copy the files if it is big enough, or maybe use a trial version of a replication software if they have no limits on the trial.

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

No link between the two sites, i will have to fly it out on a large USB drive

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do i check the MD5 checksum? of the copied out machine against the original?

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

then that will work as expected. Copy all the configuraiton files with VMDK of the server and put them there in the datastore of the ESXi. then register and power ON.

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

refer the below KB for a step by step md5 check.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100325...

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Here are few option which i forget to share before.

1. If the source VM which has to be moved to new site, has a network connectivity then install VMware standalone converter in the new site and start the v2v conversion process.

2. Export the VM as OVF format in the current location copy to usb and take it there to new site and import that OVF file..

0 Kudos
HitechCityHyd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why don't  you use VMware Converter instead of using other ways ...

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Yes i have mentioned VMware standalone converter already.

Note:-Vmware converter pulgin is no more from new release Vmware vsphere 5, you got only Vmware standalone converter t deal with V2V and P2V

0 Kudos