VMware Cloud Community
luke_nexgen
Contributor
Contributor

Opening a port on ESXi 5.1

Been looking through the pubs but nothing has worked so far.

I've created VM running a speed test server we'd like to be accessible by some clients.  I believe ESXi is blocking the port necessary for clients to access the server.  The port talks on port 8080, which is not listed in Configuration->Security Profile->Firewall Properties so I need to add this via command line.  Problem is I don't know how and haven't found much to help me.

Any tips??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try check out VMware KB: Creating custom firewall rules in VMware ESXi 5.0

or you can disable firewall during test.

Stopping the firewall with esxcli network firewall set --enabled false

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am unaware of ESXi 5.1 blocking 8080 by default.

We have several internal websites ect..running on port 8080 and other obscure ports and have never had to tweak the ESXi firewall. I suspect your problem is something else.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

These sites are built on VMware ESXi?
You can disable and enable the firewall via command line without stopping the environment if you want to do a test disabling the firewall host.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos