VMware Cloud Community
dmajca
Contributor
Contributor

Operation Network Using a 1 GB Nic and a 10GB Nic.

I have a question about a ESX 4 setup that I have inherited.  There is an operatiional network set up that uses 2 physical network cards per host.  The strange part is that 1 nic is a 10gb nic, while the other is a 1 GB nic.  How will VMWare use this setup?  I'm wondering if I'm getting 10GB throughput that I want or if it's being limited.

Any insight as to how this scenario is handled by VMWare is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome,

This isnt best practice. Check http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100408...

Depending how is configured you vswitch (Port ID, IP Hash) this will works only by 1GB or 10GB.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

there could be several reasons for a setup like this. Most likely the 1 GBit NIC is used as a fallback in case the 10 GBit NIC fails or is disconnected for any reasons.

Can you post a screen shot of the virtual natwork configuration. Maybe this explains it.

André

0 Kudos
dmajca
Contributor
Contributor

They are set up correctly on the switch and in the vm console as far as I can tell.  The 10GB nic is set to 10000 MB, Full Duplex and the 1GB NIC is set to 1000MB, Full Duplex.

It was more the mixing of 2 physicaly different NIC speeds that I was curious about.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Mixing speeds does not matter. It actually depends on the configuration whether you will have "full" speed or not. Assuming you only have one vSwitch configured, then in the vSwitch's configuration the vmnics are most likely setup as active/standby.

André

0 Kudos
dmajca
Contributor
Contributor

Attaching a screen shot.  They both look active to me.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Interesting. Unless there's an active/standby setup somewhere you may not have the 10 GB uplink attached to all virtual machines!?

André

0 Kudos
dmajca
Contributor
Contributor

Right...that is my concern.  I would expect the if the Nic's are teamed, then they will be bound at 1GB.  It would seem to make more sense to make the 1GB Adapter a standby and leave the 10gb active.

0 Kudos