VMware Cloud Community
skak786
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V CONVERSION VMDK TO VHDX

Hello,

I have ESXi 7.0 and I want convert VMDK to VHDX to use in lab. Due to which I have downloaded the VMDK file from the data store and it downloads as  .zip (DCHQ.VMDK.ZIP).

I am using the starwinds converter for conversion but it doesnt sees the file as its .zip. Can I change VMDK.ZIP to vmdk and convert ? I am afraid it will be corrupted and it will take time to copy again to another place.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skak786
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct I have downloaded 7ZIP and extracted after extraction is completed I will use starwinds tool. Still its a pain first vmware doest downloads .VMdk directly instead add .zip extension while the size is same in datastore and after zip downloads.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This might be a good place to ask: https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=4ddebaa258a544aec1625d449daebcd0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
skak786
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not asking anything related to starwinds my question is while I am downloading .vmdk why its downloading as vmdk.zip ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You haven't said how you downloaded it. There are numerous methods and tools you could have used which may give different results.

Have you tried unzipping the ZIP before "giving" it to the Starwind software?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
skak786
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct I have downloaded 7ZIP and extracted after extraction is completed I will use starwinds tool. Still its a pain first vmware doest downloads .VMdk directly instead add .zip extension while the size is same in datastore and after zip downloads.

0 Kudos