VMware Cloud Community
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Page File on Task Manager of 5 GB?

Hello guys,

I have a Page File of 5.16 GB on Task Manager of 12 GB VMemory, the cpu is around 25% exept when they run reports. This is a good indicator or not?.

I have SQL 2005 Standard SP3 with WS2K3 full patch in this serve.

This is the setup:

4 vcpu @ 3.00 GHz (I try 2 vcpu but the performance was worst)

12 GB Memory

2 Vhdd each one of 50 GB on a Raid 5

iSCSI SAN for data.

vSphere ESXi 4.0.0.219382

See pic attach.

Thanks,

pesinet

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

In general, this is a somewhat difficult question to answer.

"So how do you know how much commit charge your workloads require? You might have noticed in the screenshots that Windows tracks that number and Process Explorer shows it: Peak Commit Charge. To optimally size your paging file you should start all the applications you run at the same time, load typical data sets, and then note the commit charge peak (or look at this value after a period of time where you know maximum load was attained). Set the paging file minimum to be that value minus the amount of RAM in your system (if the value is negative, pick a minimum size to permit the kind of crash dump you are configured for). If you want to have some breathing room for potentially large commit demands, set the maximum to double that number. " - taken from Mark Russinovich's Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory

The information at the link will provide you with more than enough detail to sort this out.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It looks to me that too much RAM has been allocated, unless the usage is much higher at some other point (like during the reports mentioned). Right now 2 vCPU and c.7 GB would look to me to be ample.

If you have performance issues, depending on the database usage improvement may be possible from moving to raid-10 storage as raid-5 has a high write penalty.

Please award points to any useful answer.

pesinet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I try 2 vcpu but the performance was 100% cpu utilization, that was the reason to change to 4vcpu and the cpu % back to normal. I allow 12 GB because was the initial setup. About the PF is ok 5 GB or to high?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

In general, this is a somewhat difficult question to answer.

"So how do you know how much commit charge your workloads require? You might have noticed in the screenshots that Windows tracks that number and Process Explorer shows it: Peak Commit Charge. To optimally size your paging file you should start all the applications you run at the same time, load typical data sets, and then note the commit charge peak (or look at this value after a period of time where you know maximum load was attained). Set the paging file minimum to be that value minus the amount of RAM in your system (if the value is negative, pick a minimum size to permit the kind of crash dump you are configured for). If you want to have some breathing room for potentially large commit demands, set the maximum to double that number. " - taken from Mark Russinovich's Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory

The information at the link will provide you with more than enough detail to sort this out.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

See this article about Task Manager and that PF Usage figure.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5071997.html?tag=content;leftCol

0 Kudos