VMware Cloud Community
FranckLY
Contributor
Contributor

Purple screen " Can't detect the last level cache " ESXi 5.5u2 install HP DL360p Gen8

Hi,

I got in less than one hour 4 purple screens with "Can't detect the last level cache" while installing ESXi 5.5u2 on a HP Proliant DL360p gen8 , even with HP Custom ISO or the VMware ISO, it appears that I succeeded only one time to install, and just after reboot, I got the purple screen too with the same message.

By looking in the communities and googling, I found an option to set "Max CPUID Value Limit" to disabled, but it seems that this option is not present on DL360p gen8, whereas matrix compatibility guide of VMware is showing this server as supported .

Conf:

HP Proliant DL360p Gen8

64GB of RAM

2x CPU E5-2640v2

Any help is welcome...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

did you already search the forum for this error message? Maybe installation stops with "can't detect last level cache" will help.

What you may also try is to reset the server's BIOS to factory defaults, then make sure the CPU options "VT-x" as well as "No Execute Disable Bit" are both enabled, and set the Power Profile to Maximum Performance.

André

0 Kudos
FranckLY
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a.p. ,

First, thanks to take care of my question.

As I said in my description, I didn't find the option "limit max CPUID value" in BIOS of DL360p gen8 (and I precised it because I already read the post you're noticed).

I didn't start by resetting the server's BIOS to factory defaults as the server is a brand new one from factory in fact, and also, I know that didn't select this power profile. So I'll give it a try to your idea tomorrow and keep you up-to-date.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
FranckLY
Contributor
Contributor

Hello André,

As promise, here is an update of the situation: resetting to factory, activating VT-d and No memory exec, then selecting maximum performance didn't solve the problem...BUT there is a new ESXi 5.5u2 ISO installer from vmware (named 5.5u2d since January, 27th 2015), and this installer is working. It will be fine to find the release note to know why this update, but it appears to solve my problem, and there is no custom HP ISO corresponding to this one.

Do someone know a good howto or guide to build it's own custom ESXi ISO installer (ideally for HP profile...)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hello, I think this should help you:

VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer - as for the HP modules, I guess your best shot would be to take them out of the HP-customized ESXi image, or get their list and download them at the vibdepot and customize them. Also contacting HP support would be your best shot to make them aware of this issue Smiley Happy

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos