VMware Cloud Community
Jamesdean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question - yes or no - licensing

Okay, help me out. Either everyone else is crazy, or I am.

I'm at an enterprise which has a vSphere installed, large numbers of guests and a reasonable number of hosts. Well engineered environment, that's not a problem.

The hosts are ESXi (4), and the given reason is 'for cost reasons'. This Doesn't Make Sense to me.

As far as I understand, once you have a vSphere in place, there is no difference in terms of cost for licencing, support, installation, ANYTHING between an ESX host and an ESXi host. They're the same, licensed per CPU, support, subscription, for a host costs the same. The only time ESXi saves you money is when it's not hooked up to a vSphere, in which case ESXi costs nothing, and ESX is not an option at all.

Someone, correct me.

Regards,

James Dean

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah you are right.

But ESXi uses slightly less resources so should cost you less.

Either way if you have ESXi implemented, you don't want to take a backwards step and implement ESX.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah you are right.

But ESXi uses slightly less resources so should cost you less.

Either way if you have ESXi implemented, you don't want to take a backwards step and implement ESX.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...The only time ESXi saves you money is when it's not hooked up to a vSphere, in which case ESXi costs nothing, and ESX is not an option at all.

Somewhat correct. There is a free version of ESXi, yes. But ESX and ESXi can both be put on a paid license. Which you use, ESX or ESXi, doesn't matter when using the paid license. You can upgrade an ESXi installation from the free license to a paid license by simply adding the license. Nothing else about the installation will be affected.

I'm not sure about your use of "hooked up to a vSphere." If you mean the vCenter Server, then the use of vCenter is optional. It's required for things like vMotion, but if you don't use those features of vSphere, then the vCenter Server does not have to be deployed. A scenario like this is what my company is doing. We have three ESX hosts and a vCenter Essentials license. While we do have vCenter deployed (because we have the license and we can,) we do not have a SAN and are not using any features of vSphere that require vCenter. We could just as well be on three standalone ESXi hosts using the free license and save a few dollars. However, my boss doesn't like not being on support so we have a license even though we aren't using all the features.

So interpreting your post, what can be said is "for cost purposes, ESXi with the free license is being used." But really the use of ESXi is not the issue. It's the use of the free license, which only is applicable to ESXi. If you get a paid license, then you are welcome to use either ESX or ESXi.

As a side note, we've all been told that VMware is moving away from ESX and will eventually only have ESXi. So you already being on ESXi is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just whether you want to have paid support or not.

Jamesdean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys.

This is an enterprise. All hosts will be attatched to vCentre/vSphere, full enterrise licensing for ha, drs, (s)vmotion, the works. Given that, there's no price difference I know of.

Yes I have been told that i is the way of the future, but for the moment there is more add-on support for ESX than i, and in particular some backup addons are only available for ESX. We need one, I need to shift the enterprise.

I'm gouing to get an official word from VMWare also.

James

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

PS - do not bother gonig back to full ESX now...ESX 4.1 is the last release that will be a full console version..all versions after this will be the ESXi flavor...

0 Kudos