VMware Cloud Community
stilmon
Contributor
Contributor

Raid 1, 5, or 6?

Hey guys,

Newbie to vmware here and have a quick question.

We just upgraded our old system to vmware 5 and are in the proccess of purchasing another storage array.

currently we have a MD3000I with 15 drives in sets of Raid 1 with 1 failover (7 luns @ raid 1) 7500 2TB.
We only have 22 Vm's or so but are under heavy load on 3 dell r610 with 6 core dual xeon. we are having performance issues that i believe is related to the storage array. drives or setup) fyi   multipathing is enabled and md3000i is on private network/switches .

not sure what problem is there???

We are going to order either another MD3000I or MD3200I with 400GB 15000RPM sas, shoud i go with similar setup or go with 3200 and a diffrent setup? thoughts???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This may not be the answer to your question. However, if I were you, I would try to find out what's causing the performance issue, before spending money on new hardware. Without knowing whether it is host, network or storage related you may run into the same issues with new hardware.

André

0 Kudos
stilmon
Contributor
Contributor

Agree, but im not sure if my current configuration is the problem.

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

well, raid 1 would be faster than 5 or 6.

how is your performance in the performance tabs of the hosts?

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
stilmon
Contributor
Contributor

Disk latency averages about 125 ms

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

125ms !?!?!

Thats INCREDIBLY high.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
stilmon
Contributor
Contributor

atatched is disc chart on a high i/o server. 

0 Kudos