VMware Cloud Community
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Raid Controller for ESXi 4.1 - Adaptec 2805 ?

Hello.

Since ASUS did not come through delivering one of there PIKE controllers I am on the hunt for another SAS/SATA Raid controller supporting at least 6 drives and Raid 1+0, what I have also learned is that ESXi require it to be a H/W Raid controller.

I am looking at the Adaptec RAID 2805 controller specifically.

It is one of adapter's entry level Raid Controllers, so it is offered at a low cost and considering that this will be a "home" usage small server running a number of Windows/Linux images, I don't think that choosing an Adaptec RAID 5805 instead would be as noticeable as the price difference is.

Question is, does anyone have any experience with the Adaptec RAID 2805 controller? Since it is not listed on the compatibility guide, however the Adaptec RAID 2405 is and as far as I can tell the difference is the number op channels. the 2405 would properly cover my needs as well if I could find a retailer for it near me.

So, the question, does anyone have experience running VMware ESXi 4.1 on a Raid 1+0 using SATA disks with any of the mentioned controllers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, found a Danish Dealer who could acquire the LSI card.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I would look to the LSI MegaRAID controllers if you want full compatibility... Such as the 9260-8i model (listed on the VMware HCL for "SAS/SATA-RAID)... I would opt to get the battery unit for the controller right from the start... Newegg has the kit (comes with all the cables you'll need) for $530 (USD). They also have the battery for another $170... Sure, it's not a CHEAP option, but it will give you the capacity for up to 8 hard drives (since you listed needing for six, I skipped over the 9260-4i model) AND is on the VMware HCL...

I've seen enough people post up with issues when using Adaptec controllers with ESX/ESXi to not recommend them anymore... Best option, in my opinion, is either get the LSI MegaRAID controller with the LSI name on it, or the controller from a server manufacturer (such as Dell or HP) that's the same card anyway, just rebranded...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.

Sadly that comes with a much higher price tag than the Adaptec Controllers I have listed...

In fact over twice the price where I live (DK) so that does not seem like an option I would like.

I also have trouble finding a local supplier for LSI controllers where as the Adaptec I can pick up around the corner (almost)

But I can see your point, the lower price is of course not much worth if it is not compatible.

0 Kudos
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok have been trying to get the LSI controller, but so far no luck, can't seem to find a place to order that has it, so would still hear if others have any alternatives? (Adaptec or others)

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok have been trying to get the LSI controller, but so far no luck, can't seem to find a place to order that has it, so would still hear if others have any alternatives? (Adaptec or others)

Newegg.com has both the controller for 4 and 8 drives, in stock... Go to www.newegg.com and then search for 9260-4i and 9260-8i...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, maybe I should re-specify... Thought the "other" replies kinda outlined this... but DK retailers does not have it...

I am not going to order hardware outside DK due to all the tax and warenty circumstances.

It is to much hassle to deal with, and since the product is more expensive that just to throw away on failure, only DK retailers is an option.

So www.newegg.com is not an option, along side with many others as well.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sounds like it really sucks to be there then... Living in the US there are plenty of options for ordering/obtaining hardware. Being in the north east (MA) I even have distributors within a short drive (under 30 minutes) that I can go to for items (if needed)... I've not needed to in some time, since places like newegg, or amazon (does amazon work for you, or too taxed?) offer things at very good rates... I did just order my SAN chassis from another reseller (called them to confirm a few things) that's based out of South Carolina (item shipped from Florida)... Really good to have the person on the other end of the phone native to the country you're in... No foreign accent to try and filter through. I get that too much from recruiters/headhunters as it stands...

You'll really need to confirm what you get is listed on the VMware HCL then, before getting it... With the 2805 NOT being on the HCL, I wouldn't get it... Just because the 2405 seems like it's almost the same thing won't mean it will work with ESX/ESXi... If you need the eight internal ports, you'll need to get the controller listed for that port count, as well as "SAS/SATA-RAID" in the HCL (for the 4.1 release)... Otherwise you run a very real chance of amassing a stockpile of useless RAID cards... You'll also need to get a controller that either comes with a battery, or at least has the option for one. BBWC is critical for getting good performance with DAS...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is why al requestion other alternatives (not the ones I listed my self)...

That may be LSI, Adaptec, whatever... Just need som "Good" alternatives, with some of the Adaptec being on the supported list but hearing some have many issues with some of them, I would wan't to investigate a little more...

At this point price isn't a concern (then I can pick in the prices after)...

But yes, for server hardware it is rather tough to get products, normal consumer hardware I have plenty in range, had to wait for over 2 weeks for an Intel SC5600 housing as well...

The whole thing about tax etc... it's not about the cost as much about the trouble sorting it... Technically any EU site should be ok because that takes a little out if it, but then there is my next thing, the warrenty, having to ship back and forth in case of a "broken" product is just to much trouble, especially if it is not domestic... at least domestic shops i can travel to and talk to em first hand... I prefer to have someone in the other end like that...

Or like Dell/Lenovo that just picks the stuff up, but Dell was to pricey for a private server compared to what I could put together my self...

I have put out some mails to some hardware dealers now asking if they can get the LSI cotroller...

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

For a regular system, it could make sense to build it yourself. Once you start talking about putting ESX/ESXi onto it, the game completely changes.

I used to build computers for myself, and others, until I crunched the numbers. Turns out it really was less expensive to get the system made by a large company, such as Dell, where you have warranty for x years and one company to go back to when there's an issue. Building it myself, there was at least 4-6 different manufacturers, or warranty terms on the hardware that I needed to deal with. Then there was the time to build, cost in blood (litterally) and other headaches.

For an ESX/ESXi host, I see more benefit form getting it already built. Either a true server system (built to run ESX/ESXi from the start) or one that only requires a tiny amount of tweaking to get to work and be 100% stable (like the T7400 workstation I'm using)... IF you either get, or build, a SAN to use for the VM's to live on, then the local RAID controller becomes irrelevent. You could install ESXi 4.x onto an USB flash drive (2GB-8GB in size) and just use the SAN... Reduces headaches and pain that way. You could, then, use that 8 drive RAID controller inside a system, with 8 drives, and use a software iSCSI/SAN solution to present LUN's to the ESXi host...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For a Company that would all be true.

But for a Private system, it is another deal...

All time used is essentially spare time, and as such something I choose do because i wan't to, therefore cost in time is to be seen irrelevant or equals $0... as for the warrenty, in DK you turn your broken piece back to the retailer and they take care of the rest, so it is really the same thing in terms of that, except I have to turn in a single disk etc, and not an entire system... but that is why I wanted close by dealers anyways...

So keep the context in mind... A similar DELL system to the one I have build would have cost around 9000$ when danish tax is added, and the system I have put together so far is only 4000$... (that is with the LSI controller price added in if I find a retailer)... so that IS a significant difference when you think about it...

0 Kudos
Melgaard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, found a Danish Dealer who could acquire the LSI card.

0 Kudos