VMware Cloud Community
Bunty11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Re-Install OS on a VM

One of our Virtual Machine operating system (i.e. Windows 2008) was corrupted. So i want to re-install that OS on the VM. So by attaching a Win 2008 ISO i plan to re-install the OS and format the C:\ drive on that VM. So will formatting that C:\ drive will it affect datastore on which that VM is located.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So will formatting that C:\ drive will it affect datastore on which that VM is located.....

No. not at all. It will be the vmdk file residing on the datastore which will get changed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It will not have any impact on other VM's in the datastore.. You are just repairing the VM which is affected ..

Just a suggestion, As you have planned to format the C drive- Can you not install a new VM with same config and add the other VMDK ( drives ) to the new VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So will formatting that C:\ drive will it affect datastore on which that VM is located.....

No. not at all. It will be the vmdk file residing on the datastore which will get changed.

0 Kudos