VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RestrictedVersionFault while attempting to create a snapshot from CLI

I try to create a snapshot of a VM hosted by an ESXi 4.1 server using the CLI from a Windows PC.

The command I issue sounds like

C:\Programmi\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vmware-cmd.pl -H "192.168.1.1" -U root "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/New Virtual Machine/New Virtual Machine.vmx" create snapshot "snapshot1" "Snapshot created by da Marius" 0 0

The error I get is:

Fault:
SOAP Fault:
-----------
Fault string: fault.RestrictedVersion.summary
Fault detail: RestrictedVersionFault

Reading other posts in this forum I suspect the problem is related to the free license I am using: is it correct?

Is there any other possible reason, maybe related to the syntax I used?

If so, is there any other way to create a snapshot from a command line?

Regards

marius

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Marius1,

The free edition of ESXi is restricted to read only for RCLI. So that sounds like the problem you encountered.

If you have access to the console, you can run the command directly on the console.

Give it a whirl on the free edition to see if it works.

1. First you need to find the VM id of the virtual machine by running "vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms".
(Use the id of the vm you want to snapshot and enter this into the command in step 2)

2. Create the snapshot by running "vim-cmd /vmsvc/snapshot.create <VMID> <snapshotname> <snapshot description> <include memory true/false>
e.g vim-cmd /vmsvc/snapshot.create 16 VMSnapshot SnapShotBeforeUpgrading true.

Thanks,

Nick.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Correct, a paid license is needed (luckily only the most basic Essentials pack even is fine).

NickEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Marius1,

The free edition of ESXi is restricted to read only for RCLI. So that sounds like the problem you encountered.

If you have access to the console, you can run the command directly on the console.

Give it a whirl on the free edition to see if it works.

1. First you need to find the VM id of the virtual machine by running "vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms".
(Use the id of the vm you want to snapshot and enter this into the command in step 2)

2. Create the snapshot by running "vim-cmd /vmsvc/snapshot.create <VMID> <snapshotname> <snapshot description> <include memory true/false>
e.g vim-cmd /vmsvc/snapshot.create 16 VMSnapshot SnapShotBeforeUpgrading true.

Thanks,

Nick.

0 Kudos
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great!!!!

Many thanks, Nick!

Where can I locate a documentation about vim-cmd commands?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos