VMware Cloud Community
jamesjames2
Contributor
Contributor

Running VMWare workstation image on ESXi

Hi,

This is a simple question and I hope the answer is equally as simple. I converted a physical server using the VMWare converter standalone and need to boot it up on my free ESXi server. Is this possible? I have been reading somewhere that it definately should be?

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi James

Yes, this should work fine, when you use the converter you simply choose the ESXi server as the destination. If you have already converted it to a different format for example to VMware workstation you can do a V2V to get it into ESX

Hope this helps

Scott

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
jamesjames2
Contributor
Contributor

So is V2V an option in the converter?

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes when you first click on "Convert Machine" there is a drop down box that asks you the source type.

This can be one of the following

Powered on machine

VMware infrastructure VM

VMware workstation or other VM

Third party backup image

Virtual applicance

The choose the ESXi server as the destination supply the credentials and convert.

Regards,

Scott

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
jamesjames2
Contributor
Contributor

The problem I am having is that its running in Workstation. When converting (Using P2V) I am getting this unknown error in the logs

P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(vim.fault.NotFound)

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So the machine is running ok in workstation?

If so you should power down the VM and use the option to convert a VMware workstation or other VM in VMware converter standalone, you should then simply point to the VM's location on disk and choose the destination to be the ESXi server.

Regards,

Scott

I hope this helps
0 Kudos