VMware Cloud Community
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SOIC do not support

I get this message when trying to enable SIOC.

"The datastore 'VMCluster2' is connected to one or more hoss that do not support Storage I/O Control."

Um... ok... Which one and why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Storage I/O Control requires Enterprise Plus.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

SIOC is a feature of vSphere 4.1 and requires VMFS volumes. My guess, is one of the host that is connected is not running 4.1?

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, all running 4.1.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The only other thing is if the hardware itself may not support the feature ... afaik, this is all done in software BUT it may utilize certain hardware features of the CPU or whatnot. Are all your hosts running similar hardware?

I have a script that generates a health check report, you might be able to leverage it and compare the compability features. Here is a sample output: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8746485/sample_vmware_health_report.html#ESX/ESXi%20Capabilitie%28s%29-1

Here is the script:

I don't know how large your environment is, but you can investigate the logs to see which host is throwing the error or if vCenter has more information in it's vpxa logs. I suspect, you should see an error on one of the host when trying to enable SIOC on the datastore that is not supported by one of the hosts.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell Equallogic iSCSI SAN's

HP DL360 G6 Servers.

Is there a compatibility PDF somewhere?

The health check looks time consuming, I don't have the time for that.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

VMware HCL is what you want to double check, as I mentioned, SIOC is all done in software so it's kind of odd that you're seeing this with all 4.1 hosts. That is the only thing that I would see that would cause it to fail ... Do you know what version of VMFS are you running on this particular VMFS datastore? I might require latest 3.46 versus 3.33

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running 3.33. Is there a safe way to upgrade this?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I've not done an upgrade from 3.33 to 3.46, I believe it will be destructive but you'll want to confirm with VMware support before doing so. You may need to evacuate your VMs to another datastore before you upgrade VMFS volume.

Though before you do so, I just realized if login to your vCenter server and click on one of the host over to the Storage tab, you should have a tab that says "Storage I/O Control" and it should say either enabled, disabled or not supported. That might give you a little more information on which host does not support the feature. I'm not 100% sure on VMFS version affecting it, but it would make sense since that is a new feature of 4.1 and with 4.1, there was a minor VMFS version change.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It say's "disabled"

Well at least I know more now than just a superfluous message.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

License level the same throughout the hosts?
Maish

VMware Communities User Moderator

- @maishsk

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's running Advanced. I'm guessing that is the issue (you need Enterprise for this?). Although the message does not state it is a License problem.

If it's not licensed why don't they just have the checkmark grayed out?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

There was a recent discussion that included testimonials of VMFS versions not mattering with SIOC. Will be interested to hear what the outcome is on this one.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Storage I/O Control requires Enterprise Plus.

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is what I thought - it requires Enterprise Plus

Maish

VMware Communities User Moderator

- @maishsk

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos