VMware Cloud Community
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scheduled task for a vApp

Anyway to set a scheduled task on a vApp? When I got to Scheduled Tasks and browse my list of VMs I don't see the vApp nor do I see the VMs contained in the vApp. What am I doing wrong or is there another way to do this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

If it's not available, then it's not something supported by default. You could setup the task for each of the VMs within the vApp or write a custom script using PowerCLI or vSphere SDK for Perl to operate within the vApp which will just drill down to the individual VMs and apply the task and this can be scheduled/setup using Microsoft's schedule task.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The individual VMs are not listed in vCenter for Scheduled Tasks. I know I could set a scheduled task inside of Windows, but it just seemed odd that neither the vApp nor the VMs were listed.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

So the scheduled task in vCenter, you don't' select a specif VM, you choose a task type and then you should be able to select a sub-set of VM.

Here is the current list:

Change the power state of a VM
Clone a VM
Deploy a VM
Migrate a VM
Create a VM
Make snapshot of VM
Add a host
Change resource settings of RP or VM
Check complianace 

If these default tasks do not suffice, then you'll probably need to write some custom scripts to automate the task you may be referring to which can be done in PowerCLI or vSphere SDK for Perl and schedule within your vCenter Server using Microsoft task scheduler.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe I'm not being specific enough. When I chose a task the vApp nor the VMs are in the list of VMs to run the task on.

0 Kudos
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From VMware support:

"Scheduled taks fetures for vApps apllication is not

possible in Virtual center nor can you run any task against any VM located

under the Vapps folder. If the Virtual machines are moved outside the Vapps

folder, them you will be able to schedule task for those Virtual machines."

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good to know, this is more of what is actually supported in vCenter. Nothing stops you from writing a custom script to schedule your task Smiley Wink

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos