VMware Cloud Community
Lakz
Contributor
Contributor

Simple guest back-up

Hi,

I run an Ubuntu Server guest on my ESXi 5.1 host. I'd like to back it up in a simple, straight forward manner that would allow me to restore the guest if something goes wrong. A sort of ghost image, in a way...

To do that, can I simply copy/paste the entire guest folder contained in the datastore?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mofr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

to use copy paste vm from datastore u have turn it off each time you will do copy/paste.

for your purposes you can use Veeam Backup Free Edition for VMware and Hyper-V VMs (VeeamZIP)

it is very simple and free for use.

---------------------------------------------------------- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCSE: Messaging VCP4 Blog: http://vforv.me/ Twitter: @sgaldava
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Or you could use ghettoVCB.sh - Free alternative for backing up VM's for ESX(i) 3.5, 4.x & 5.x

Simple, command-line script for easy backup/restore. Uses snapshot, and can backup even running VMs.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉