Gysh
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Sensor not shown in ESXI 5.5.0 patch #4

Hi everyone, we currently have a Vcenter 5.5 that has 3 hosts connected to it

Host 1 that is ESXI 5.5.0 (Build # 1331820)  Dell Poweredge R420

Host 2  ESXI 5.5.0  Build # 2068190  on a Poweredge R520

Host 3 ESXI 5.5.0 Build #2068190 on Poweredge R510

The issue i'm having is that Host #1 doesn't show the storage sensor on either Vcenter or Vsphere client, which can be annoying if a disk fail

All 3 hosts have ESXI installed on  a USB stick and the VMs are on a Datastore that are on the local disk of each host.

I've read that there was a bug in ESXI 5.5 that can make the storage sensor not shown.  So today I just updated host #1 from ESXI 5.5.0 Build 1131820 to ESXI 5.5.0 Build 2403361 in hope it fixed the problem.s

The update went fine, but sadly both Vcenter and Vsphere client still does not show the storage sensor but only on host #1, host 2 and 3 shows the storage.

I cannot update ESXI higher then that atm, since i'd have to update the Vcenter first.

Is there a way to solve my problem without having to update the ESXI and if possible to not have anymore downtime?

Thanks for the possible help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

Sorry dumb questions time:

• Do you happen to have OpenManage System Administrator installed on the hosts that work vs. the host that doesn't?
  • If you don't have OpenManage System Administrator installed there is there any differences in the hosts around storage, i.e. RAID controllers or even if you are using them on one host but not the others?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Gysh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, we do not use Open Manage System Administrator on any of the hosts

As for the Raid controllers

The host that doesn't show the senser use a PERC H310 Mini Monolithics

While the 2 that shows uses

PercH700 integrated and the other uses a Perc710 Mini

Also for the host that doesn'T work i'm able to see the disk as a storage, so the ESXI see the storage since I can add a datastore, but the sensor doesn't show

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Did you patch it with a Dell customized ISO or the stock one from VMware's website.

Sometimes there are a bunch of updated vibs in the Dell ISOs.

Might be worth a shot...

Xavier.

0 Kudos
Gysh
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded the Iso from the VMware website.

The other 2 servers were installed from iso that also came from Vmware website

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

Sorry another silly question: Are you running your disks in a RAID configuration on all three hosts?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

I would try to look for the LSI vibs in the Dell customized ISO or LSI's website and install it on the host.

Should be LSI Megaraid but you can check that with : esxcfg-scsidevs -a

The credit goes there: http://blog.mwpreston.net/2012/07/17/dell-storage-missing-from-vmware-health-status/

If it doesn't work you can still enable email alerts on the idrac :s

0 Kudos