VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Storage vMotion

Sometimes storage vmotion works fine in between two different array's datastore and  sometimes it failed any idea about this?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Please describe the network setup for vMotion between the hosts?  What storage is being use and how is it linked?  (NFS, iSCSI, Fiber?)

We need more information before we can assist.

Thanks.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

FIBER STORAGE

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It could be basically anything from a bad SFP or FC cable to insufficient free disk space on the target datastore. Please provide some details about the issue(s) you see, e.g. is it reproducible for the same VM(s), is it related to a specific datastore (either source or target), ... You may also want to check whether there's something helpful in the log files.

André

0 Kudos
ransomcardoza
Contributor
Contributor

Ranjana, Here's what we need to ascertain what the issue is

1. What's the workload on the ESXi host's when you're performing an SVmotion
  2. Are you performing a SVmotion between same storage tier i.e on a different array. i.e IOPS the same
  3. When the Svmotion fails does it fail immediately or after a length of time. If so after how long ?
  4. assuming you're running ESXi  are you seeing any errors within /var/log/vmkernel.log during the failure
0 Kudos