VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Time issues

I migrated our VMs to new physical servers.  After the migration, multiple Linux guests and some Windows guests also had issues with system time.  On the Linux systems, the NTP daemon stopped.  Some systems drifted as much as 8 hours.

The migration was from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 4.1.  The new hardware is IBM x3690's.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

First thing I would do is make sure the servers cmos clocks are set correctly

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
NinjaHideout
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would also make sure that the guest uses either NTP or Guest Tools to synchronize time, but not both.

0 Kudos
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

jpoling wrote:

I migrated our VMs to new physical servers.  After the migration, multiple Linux guests and some Windows guests also had issues with system time.  On the Linux systems, the NTP daemon stopped.  Some systems drifted as much as 8 hours.

The migration was from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 4.1.  The new hardware is IBM x3690's.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks,

Jeff

hi along with cmos  check server date and time format should same as cmos.

Yours,

Satya

0 Kudos
shishir08
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is always advisable to have the guest OS synchronize there time  from NTP server,its an industry standard and ensures accurate time  keeping in guest.When using NTP server always make sure to disable the  VMware tools periodic time synchronization. One more important thing  make sure that your

host system is configured with the correct time and zone.

If  issue still persists then it would be better to analyze the system for  some time and turn on some extra logging which may help you in deep  diving the problem

0 Kudos