VMware Cloud Community
CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trial VM 4.1 ESXi does not accept a licence

Hello, can someone please enlighten us what we are doing wrong?

We downloaded a trial version of ESXi 4.1 (I apologize if the version is not precisely corect), installed it and the console says "evaluation for 60 days". We registered it online and our vmware account shows under licensing required license numbers..

but how do we change that "evaluation period" on the vmware console itself? We cant find anything in the menu that would either connect to our account, let us assign or type in the license code.. and  so. we are basically stuck and unsure what will happen after 60 days.

can someone give us a hint, please?

thanks a lot in advance, Pavel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you logged into your account with the link you provided http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html  You should see a licensing download information screen.  Within that screen you will see a key.  That key will be your non expiring key.  Inject that key into your ESXi Host (Configuration--Licensed Features--edit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

You can change trial to purchase license normally.

You aldreay try change in Configuration > Lincensed Features in Host VMware ?

May you need combine your license in portal (account site).

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

did you register for the vSphere Suite or for the free Hypervisor? If the latter, you should have received a license key, which can be entered when you login to the vSphere Client, select the "Configuration" tab and go to "Licensed Features".

If you did not register for the free Hypervisor you can still do this and use the license key for your installation, since the binaries are all the same.

André

CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That we did not try. The point is that we need to test a new Microsoft platform and 60 days is not enough. MS servers come with 180 days of evaluation and we need like 120 or so. Therefore based on what we read on the VMware trial downloads page - if we register the downloaded trial, we may use it for a max. 3 virtual hosts for free with unlimited period (we need actually two hosts).

so.. given this more specific problem, is there a way how to solve that without purchasing a full license for a test environment?

0 Kudos
CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no André, we just downloaded ESXi and when we run the installation file it has never asked for a license key.. dumb.. dont know what to do. We have no previous experience with VMware products so maybe that there is something wrong. We have only license number for "VMware Server for Windows " or Linux version. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, the ESX (i) offers only 60 days trial to test. After this version is still working, but if a virtual machine or shut down the host, you can not connect again without any license

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd suggest you register for the free Hypervisor license at Download Free Now

Then follow the instructions above to enter the key .

André

0 Kudos
CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks to both for a very valuable input! We will try that and later share how it went. Once again, thanks!

0 Kudos
CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is absurd!! I followed really closely your advices:

1. I tried to download vSphere HyperVisor for Free (it even says on the page "VMware vSphere Hypervisor is the simplest and easiest way to get started with virtualization for free."
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

2. Before actually downloading the trialware, I logged in with our previously created account. i got a download page with dark blue background and headline "VMware vSphere Hypervisor
Based on ESXi" and below it:

YOUR FREE VSPHERE HYPERVISOR REGISTRATION INCLUDES ACCESS TO
•VMware ESXi 4.1
•VMware vSphere Client
•VMware Go

3. I clicked in the bubble on the right side "Welcome Office DLV Click "Continue" to proceed to the next step." on Continue button
4. A page with vSphere Hypervisor license key was displayed and also several tabs, one them dedicated to downloads
5. I clicked on the download link "Dell ESXi Installable CD for ESXi 4.1 Update 1 A03"
6. Meanwhile I received in my mailbox email from VMware with following intro:

Dear Office,

Thank you for your interest in evaluating VMware vSphere. We are pleased to provide a 60 day download to support your evaluation, which will expire on 09/25/2011. Please use the link below to access your evaluation and download information.

So am I or am I not download a product only for 60 days use??? This so painfully confusing!!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you logged into your account with the link you provided http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html  You should see a licensing download information screen.  Within that screen you will see a key.  That key will be your non expiring key.  Inject that key into your ESXi Host (Configuration--Licensed Features--edit.

0 Kudos
CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

aaahhhhh!! that might be the key! - anyways, download stopped, have to resume it again and its really slow. So it will take a while to verify that theory.

thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you have already installed ESXi there's no need to download the installation package again. The binaries are the same for the Hypervisor. As I mentioned before, you only need to apply the free license key.

André

0 Kudos
CrayXMP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much, guys.. ! it works! The crucial point was correctly suggested by Troy Clavell

I hate VM Ware marketing that they cant PUT IT AFRONT! when someone download this software.. its so buried behind a nested menus that a VM greenhorn has no chance to find it.!

0 Kudos