VMware Cloud Community
TaylorN90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to upgrade to 5.5

I am trying to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5 but every time I try, I get to the welcome screen (Esc to Exit, Enter to Continue) and I cannot press enter or esc - nothing happens.

I've tried CD/DVD/USB, several different keyboards, nothing works. The keyboard works fine, as I am able to choose the image as a boot option in pre-boot, so it looks like its just the VMWare installer.

I tried using the 5.5.0 image, and 5.5 update 1 - neither works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you checked if your HW is supported by 5.5? Even if it was supported by 5.1 it does NOT mean automatically it is supported by 5.5. So maybe 5.5-installer does not know how to continue. I have hit this obstacle myself: my quite new and supported (up to 5.1u1) Intel server-board for xeon/sandy cpu was suddenly dropped from HCL for ESXi 5.5...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you checked if your HW is supported by 5.5? Even if it was supported by 5.1 it does NOT mean automatically it is supported by 5.5. So maybe 5.5-installer does not know how to continue. I have hit this obstacle myself: my quite new and supported (up to 5.1u1) Intel server-board for xeon/sandy cpu was suddenly dropped from HCL for ESXi 5.5...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
TaylorN90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I didn't even think of that because this server is barely 12 months old.

Looks old like support was dropped with 5.1 U2 Smiley Sad

I've got some VMs running 2012 R2, and they're having issues with external USB HDDs. It disconnects on occasion, and Windows says that it can't start the device because it couldn't get its information (or something of the sort). I was hoping 5.5 would resolve this. Can you provide any assistance?

0 Kudos