VMware Cloud Community
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading ESX 4.0 to ESXi

We are running ESX 4.0 and would like to migrate to ESXi. Are there any caveats or is it pretty straightforward?

We eventually would like to get to 5.0, but I believe i need to go to EXSi 4 first. Correct?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX->ESXi isn't an upgrade.  Its a complete reinstall, and you'd need to rebuild each upgraded host from scratch onto ESXi.

However, beyond that, if you know how to setup your hosts, its done pretty much the same way from the API or the GUI - all the same features exist.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX->ESXi isn't an upgrade.  Its a complete reinstall, and you'd need to rebuild each upgraded host from scratch onto ESXi.

However, beyond that, if you know how to setup your hosts, its done pretty much the same way from the API or the GUI - all the same features exist.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ESX --> ESXi only with fresh installation directly to ESX(i)5.0.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have vCenter5 and VUM 5 you can upgrade ESX 4.0 to ESXi5 via Update Manager.

With that said, I too would prefer a rebuild to ESXi

Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!