VMware Cloud Community
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Usb device in VM

Hi,

I have two computers at my company that I need to virutalize, the problem is that the computer have a usb device that needs to be connected all the time (Mastercard stuff).

I thought that I could just install a VM with WinXP and edit settings and add usb device and plugin usb to the ESX host, but really that simply it didn't seems to be Smiley Happy

So my question is how can I make this work? How can I plugin a usb device to the ESX host and see it in the VM?

It nessesary shouldn't be a supported solution, it should only work. Smiley Wink

I really hope that someone can help me!

Thanks!

BR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

about this topic i would recommend you to check this post..

Maybe this helps Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful or corrrect answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar cualquier respuesta útil o correcta. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Iceman!

I think your only option is to use an IP USB hub, such as the AnywhereUSB -

There are lot's of people on here that have used such devices successfully to solve this problem... 😃

Hope this helps

Adam

PrasannaGV
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Connect the USB to the ESX. For the VM add the USB controller in the VM->Edit settings. After that add the USB device. Do the same for the other VM also. You can see the same USB device on both the VMs.

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, USB is not supported for guest vm's on ESX. VMware KB. As Waffle said, use an IP -> USB hub if you have to - the only thing I'd be lloking at is physical security as you mentioned it's Mastercard related. Other thing is IF it was supported then your vm would now be tied to that physical host and you'd loose HA, DRS, vMotion and FT capability.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that ain't working???!!!

0 Kudos
PrasannaGV
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry, USB device support is coming for next release ESX 4.1

0 Kudos
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So the only option is to buy the IP/USB box?

No other work-around at all?

It's okey if the VM needs to be on the same host always.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

about this topic i would recommend you to check this post..

Maybe this helps Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful or corrrect answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar cualquier respuesta útil o correcta. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the USB device is a dongle, you can also use a dongle emulator. See for example: Dongle Service - Everything about dongles, dongle emulator and dongle emulation technology or Soft Key Solutions - HASP4 HASP HL Hardlock dongle emulator for Aladdin hardware key.

Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried today with a USB memory with just a test file on it and it worked great.

But it have to work with Mastercard dongle to, I will check your links RvdNieuwendijk and maybe that will be a solution if it's not work with passthrough.

Thanks to everyone that have come with tip's and solutions! It has helped me alot.

BR

0 Kudos