VMware Cloud Community
dwisby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Converter

I have VMware Vcenter 4 and in the plug-ins the Vcenter Converter 4.1.0 shows enabled. I purchased a new laptop and installed Vsphere client and can manage my vm hosts and guests but when I try to run Import Machine I get a popup stating 'Unable to connect to vCenter Converter Server'. What am I missing to make this functional on my new laptop, as it appears to be installed and enabled on the vCenter Server?

Thanks

David

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no. You need to have the DB instance online. During the upgrade you will be asked to use existing or create new DB. You want to "use existing"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your vSphere4 Client is the same build as your vCenter4 Server build? Try closing the client and opening it again and then try to right click on a host and try import again.

Before you close, make sure you have no other active connections into your vCenter4 instance.

0 Kudos
dwisby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy, I appreciate your responding so quickly.

vSphere Client is version 4.0.0 Build 208111

vCenter Server is version 4.0.0 Build 162856

When I look in th logs it appears that it is trying to access the converter logs on my old laptop. When I log into the vCenter Server and run the client, I can look at the plugins and the Converter has info about installing the converter but when I click on it to install it again refers to my old laptop. Not sure what I need to get this to work but it is not functioning.

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your client is newer than your vCenter build. You should upgrade to U1 for your vCenter. Also, when doing that upgrade your plugins, including converter as well.

0 Kudos
dwisby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When upgrading vCenter and the plugins, is this disruptive to the hosts and guests?

David

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no. The vCenter and plugin upgrades will have no impact on your running VM's.

just backup your vCenter DB before you start

0 Kudos
dwisby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One more question, should I shut down the SQL db's prior to upgrading?

David

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no. You need to have the DB instance online. During the upgrade you will be asked to use existing or create new DB. You want to "use existing"

0 Kudos
dwisby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

David

0 Kudos