VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Tools error

Hi All,

We are running 5.1 environment. All are VM's are on HW 9 with updated VM tools.

On nearly all the VM's I get below errors in the event viwer

[ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] Error in the RPC receive loop: RpcIn: Unable to send.

I am following article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203635...

however this is not resolving the issue

Here is the way I do it

Stop the vmware tools service

kill all the instances for vmtoolsd.exe

created the tools.conf file ---- delete the unity.dll --- start the vmwware tools service

the error is not going away. Am I missing something

Thanks

15 Replies
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you update to ESXi 5.1 Update 1, and install the associated version of the VMware Tools (version 9.0.5)  on your VMs?  This is suppose to resolve the issue.

Assuming so, deleting the unity.dll resolves a separate warning message seen whenever someone logs into the VM via RDP:

[ warning] [vmusr:vmtoolsd] Failed registration of app type 2 (Signals) from plugin unity.

The tools.conf should be sufficient to resolve the RDP errors if the file is saved to the correct location and has the correct parameters.

Finally, note that the KB says "If there are users logged in to more than one session, restarting the VMTools service may not be sufficient. You may have to kill the vmtoolsd.exe process for all instances."

All of that fails, you can:

1. Open a ticket with VMware Support

2. Modify the tools.conf file to log the errors/warnings to a log file, and therefore at least remove the spew from the Event Viewer.  For guidance on how to redirect the VMware Tool log messages to a file and setup rotations so the log doesn't fill up the drive: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007873

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the reply Aron.

To proceed with the issue -- VMware has released a patch to fix the issue. Please check VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch ESXi510-201212402-BG: Updates tools-light

I downloaded the entire patch zip file from Download Patches</title> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="te…

I downloaded ESXi510-201212001 as it has patch 201212402.

When I extracted the ESXi510-201212001.zip file >>>> then to vib20 folder >>>>> tools-light >>>> VMware_locker_tools-light_5.1.0-0.9.914609.vib. This is the vib file that is mentioned in the link VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch ESXi510-201212402-BG: Updates tools-light to install on the ESXi Host

Link mentions that there is no need to restart the Host or move the VM;s. I can use the esxcli software vib command and install the vib file from the command line?

I want to ask has anyone installed this patch?? And as the article says that there is no need to move VM's -- so I can install the patch on the fly and need not worry about anything (like moving the vms and putting the host in mm).

Please suggest

Thanks

0 Kudos
dataserviceit
Contributor
Contributor

i have an installazione with an issues, my vm(W7PRO64bit) randomly hangs a application that runs, and i have this problem tha you have described.

this problem can hangs any application or not?

tnx

0 Kudos
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, this specific issue is not linked to application hangs within a VM to my knowledge.  More likely the hang is being caused by an issue with the application itself, or an issue with the Guest OS within the VM.

0 Kudos
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

lvaibhavt, this KB instructs on how to install patches via ESXi command line: VMware KB: Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line

Ignore the steps in the KB that instruct you to migrate/shutdown VMs and put host into maintenance mode.  Given the KB for the patch indicates that is not required, you can skip it.  Ultimately, when you proceed to install the patch, if a reboot/maintenance mode is required, it should indicate such and abort the install.

But you may need to migrate the VM off and back onto the host to refresh the tools status for the VM.  Either way once the ESXi host has been patched, you need to update tools within the VM itself, which may require a reboot of that VM.

Sorry for the significantly delayed response.

skeletonhu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello guys!

We have the same error logs in Windows Server 2012 in ESX 5.5 when we login with RDP.

I have already created the conf file, as the KB says, but still getting the errors.

What should we do?

Best,

Daniel

0 Kudos
JPad
Contributor
Contributor

I am receiving the same error in 5.5 on a Windows 2003 R2 server. I thought this was suppose to be corrected in 5.1?

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The way we resolved the issue was awkward --- a colleague of mine restarted the vmware tools service for five times in a row -- then the error stopped coming.

I tried the article and all but nothing helped as soon as two guys would login on the server ----- the error was back in the event logs

Thanks

0 Kudos
Staric
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, like "skeletonhu". Are anybody solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Manxman27
Contributor
Contributor

I just had this issue, I discovered that VMware Tools was using the IP address of the wrong network adapter that was on a different network connection.

I followed these instructions http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100262... to change the order of the network adapter then rebooted the server and the issue was resolved.

0 Kudos
Staric
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
beromaro
Contributor
Contributor

VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch ESXi510-201212402-BG: Updates tools-light

I think this fix calls for VMware Tools upgrade.

0 Kudos
Cookiesmonster
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've read trough the post but it's all about 5.1

But what if you have 5.5 running and get the error in the windows event log?

[ warning] [vmusr:vmtoolsd] Failed registration of app type 2 (Signals) from plugin unity.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Staric
Contributor
Contributor

Follow this: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/419192 (Creating tools.conf)

I have 5.5 (HP Edition) - error gone.

0 Kudos
FrankHaarlem
Contributor
Contributor

I have deleted the unity.dll at a development VWWare and the warning disappeared as you said.

However, deleting a dll seems to be a rather drastic solution.
Before I do this on our Production environment I want to know more about this dll and the posible side-affects of deleting this dll.

0 Kudos