VMware Cloud Community
Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

VMware tools .msi in 5.1 - Where is it? (It's NOT in the .iso)

Hey All,

I've seen a ton of recommendations to just mount the windows.iso that you pull from the hosts or from a mounted vmware tools disk within a guest - and pull down the VMware tools64.msi file from there.

When I pull down the ISO from the hosts though I only see setup.exe and setup64.exe.  I need the MSI for the installation options like '/qn /norestart' etc.  Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

You can download the Windows.iso file from /vmimages/tools-isoimages and extract it.  You'll find both the "VMware Tools.msi" and "VMware Tools64.msi".

But you can also just initiate a VMware Tools install in Interactive mode to a VM, then open the CD drive and copy the files off. 

Good luck.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately that path doesn't exist on a 5.1 host.  If you actually open up the /vmimages/ directory - you get three paths: floppies, tools-upgraders, and vmtools.

If you open up /vmimages/vmtools - it has all of the iso's that would be loaded when you right-click install vmware tools into a guest.  Whether I mount the iso in this directory or explore one during interactive install as you suggest, there is no .msi file - only a few txt files, a program files folder, and setup(64).exe.  Anyone else?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can run e.g.

VMware-tools.exe /S /v"/qn REBOOT=R"

for unattended installations.

André

Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome, that's useful information and I can definitely work w/ that (already tested, works great).  So is there no direct .msi file anymore??

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been an .msi file!?

I've been using the .exe with unattended installations for years now.

André

0 Kudos