VMware Cloud Community
forzajuve
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Freeze

Hello I have virual machines on esxi 4.1 hosts. 3-5 of them (server 2008 R2) are freeze randomly. i have created dump file but don't know how to open and read it. Can you give me any advice? file name is vmx-zdump.001 and vmx-zdump.000 . I have found the time when error happened on hostd.log file so, I just want to read dump to get more detailed info. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Forzajuve,

I believe we can't read the dump except VMware Support.But in communities page some one have posted with help of IDA Support: Freeware Version we can able to read the dump.lets talk about the VM freeze issue,can you explain the build of ESXi,what is the hardware version & NIC driver,what type of storage device you are using in your environment and have you update the VMtools in your VM?

0 Kudos
forzajuve
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have 3 hosts esxi 4.1 u3 with latest patch (1682698). Server firmware, vcenter server 4.1, vmware tools are also updated. When this problem happened first I thought the source of problem VGA/SVGA driver. I have uninstalled and installed vmware tools and installed with custom settings (without vga driver) but problem still occurs. Storage type is FC SAN.

0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have few question to ask,those are below

Do you have any anti-virus or cron job running in the background?

Do you find any glitches in the VM task manager or in host level esxtop(%ready,%KAVG,%DAVG,n/w?

Do you feel freeze happen in RDP or VM Console?

Any error events in the Event Manager or vmware.log file?

0 Kudos