VMware Cloud Community
ccie4481
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion between DCs in virtualcenter

Team

I am trying to vmotion a machine from one vDC to another vDC managed by the same virtualcenter...when i got to vmotion the machine while its powered on it can only move it to hosts in the same vDC not the other...the vm is on a SAN disk that both hosts can see...any reason i cant do what im trying to do??

Thanks

Shaun

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you cannot vMotion between two virtual datacenters.

0 Kudos
psyclone1976
Contributor
Contributor

You will need to power of the VM, then remove from inventory and then SCP (you can zip first if it's a slow link) the VM files and VMDK files to a datastore in the other vDC, then open the datastore and add teh .vmx file to the inventroy (double click), you can then edit the settings of the VM if required for networking etc and then power on.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

You could also use VM convertor to move it across if you prefer.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

If both hosts can see the data store,  you have can just add th .vmx back to inventory on the new host.   Power it off on the old, power it "on" on the new host.    Pretty minimal on the down time there.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

PS:   If you get the question "Did you move it? or Did you copy it?"    If you want it to keep the same mac address answer I moved it,  if its' ok to assign it a new mac address answer copy it.

We have taken to always answering moved it, because we recently had an issue where two hosts on different data centers were auto assigning diplicate Mac addresses.   Talk about weirding out your network.

0 Kudos