VMware Cloud Community
abhinav1708
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 5: How to install a software on all running virtual Machines??

Vsphere 5: How to install a software on all running virtual Machines??

I am using licensed version of Vsphere 5

I need to install an antivirus software on all virtual machines, there are more than 100 vm machines on my host so manually installing antivirus on each machine is very time consuming

Is there any way by which i can install antivirus software on all machines or automate the installation??

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you were starting from scratch you could create a VM template with AV software installed and then deploy your 100 VMs from the template.  However, since it seems that you have 100 existing virtual machines you'll need to look at an alternative.   Do you have any software deployment software currently in use? What kind of VMs are there?  For an AD domain and Windows based VMs you could look at using Group Policy to push out the install.

0 Kudos
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What AV software are you using? Some will either let you create an MSI file that you can deploy using several software management tools, including Windows' built-in Group Policy, and nearly all business-grade AV include a deployment tool and lets you push the software to the clients.

0 Kudos
abhinav1708
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave for reply, my VM's are not in AD domain but all are window based.

0 Kudos