VMware Cloud Community
NYTECJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WHS2011 MultiCore

Running ESX4 off a Intel Xeon E31235 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P8BWS C206 motherboard and 24gb memory.

Have 8 Server Instances running.  7 Windows 2008R2 and 1 Windows Home Server 2011

Problem:

In Windows Home Server 2011, it does not read the multicores I give it.  In task manager, it shows only one processor.  In Device Manager, it shows 4 Intel Xeon E31235 Processors.  Shutdown, change the processors to 2 and same thing, Task Manager shows one, Device Manager shoes 2.  Windows Home Server is not taking the multicores as it should.  All the other servers running Win2k8R2 are fine and utilize the 4 or 2 cores I give it.  In the settings, I have it set as the guest OS as Windows 2008R2 as WHS2011 is based off it.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just checked some MS pages and it seems the WHS2011 is limited to 1 CPU socket. In this case you may try to present the virtual CPUs as one virtual Multi-Core CPU to the VM. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010184

Select 4 vCPUs in the GUI (if really needed!?) and then set cpuid.coresPerSocket to 4.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

usually Windows 2008 should recognize the CPUs automatically. However, sometimes this seems not to work as expected and you may need to switch to the multiprocessor HAL manually (in the Windows device manager -> Computer). Make sure you create a snapsht of the VM before doing this in case something goes wrong.

André

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Change the OS Type in the VM's settings to "Microsoft Windows 7 (64bit)".  Then, try the vCPU settings change again.

0 Kudos
NYTECJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies...

How do I do that?  When I go into the properties of the ACPI x64-Based PC, there isn't an option to remove.  Updating it and searching for the driver only shows up ACPI x64-Based PC.  Another food for thought, the other servers that work correctly have the same drivers as the Home Server when I do a comparison.  I don't see Multiprocessor HAL on any server.

Also, changing the guest OS to Windows 7 64bit didn't work either.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just checked some MS pages and it seems the WHS2011 is limited to 1 CPU socket. In this case you may try to present the virtual CPUs as one virtual Multi-Core CPU to the VM. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010184

Select 4 vCPUs in the GUI (if really needed!?) and then set cpuid.coresPerSocket to 4.

André

0 Kudos
NYTECJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked!  Thank you.  Much appreciated...

0 Kudos