VMware Cloud Community
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What happens to ESXi when a memory fault occurs?

HI, all.

I have a question.

Memory status alarms is occur on one of the ESXi

If this memory fails during operation, what is the effect?

If any VMs are running on that memory, are they the only ones affected?
Or is the ESXi host itself affected, causing all VMs to fail?

I'm very curious about the impact of a memory failure on my ESXi host.

Thanks in advance!
Best regards.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Digory34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes you could have a PSOD "PF Exception 14 in world" purple diagnostic screen in the ESXi host (2071752) (vmware.com)

Some memory issue error with ECC can solved themselves depending if this is a Multibit error or a single bit error.

Bios need to update most of the time and replacement is required if the issue comeback.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which alarm?

If your hardware has a physical fault, I'd say you're likely to experience a Purple Screen Of Death (PSOD) error at some point: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004250

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A warning message appears in the DIMM slot. The server vendor says the server needs to reboot to determine the exact cause.

0 Kudos
Digory34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes you could have a PSOD "PF Exception 14 in world" purple diagnostic screen in the ESXi host (2071752) (vmware.com)

Some memory issue error with ECC can solved themselves depending if this is a Multibit error or a single bit error.

Bios need to update most of the time and replacement is required if the issue comeback.

hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for reply! 

0 Kudos