VMware Cloud Community
Desertsweeper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows server 2008 converted to Dynamic Volume will not start

Hello

I am running the free eSXI v5.1 Hypervisor. In an attempt to increase the size of my boot partition I changed it to a dynamic volume. When i restarted the machine would not start "no boot device". I installed it with the Paravirtual SCSI controller. I have booted of a Windows Server installation CD in an attempt to "repair" the server but even with manually loading the Paravirtual drivers it does not see the windows operating system. Do I start from scratch or is there any hope?

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Desertsweeper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK I solved this. These are the steps I took in case anyone has this issue:

I exported the VMachine to an OVF Template on my local PC. I used "WinImage" to convert this to VHD image which I could mount in VirtualBox (only because I am familiar with it). I hit F12 in VirtualBox (after mounting a Windows Server CD-ROM to the machine) which booted  Windows Server off the CD and allowed me to start the recovery command prompt. I guess the conversion somehow striped the "dynamic" volumes as they could be seen now. I ran:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd and brought the OS back into the bootable list

>restart

For the first time Windows tried to boot but I got a BSOD so I figured it was just a Storage Controller error. I used WinImage to convert it back to a vmdk which I was able to boot in VMware Workstation by editing it to "IDE".

Successful boot!... and then just "uploaded" to the ESXi Hypervisor from VMworkstation after attaching to the host server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Desertsweeper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is interesting is that if I connect to the server with the standalone-converter it sees all the partitions...but even if I try to install a new windows server onto the existing VM it doesn't recognize the disk anymore...

I "converted" the machine to a VMworkstation on my PC and although i get the same "The Boot selection failed because a required device is not inaccessible" I am able to mount the partitions by mapping to a local drive and browse them. Everything is there...frustrating!

0 Kudos
Desertsweeper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK I solved this. These are the steps I took in case anyone has this issue:

I exported the VMachine to an OVF Template on my local PC. I used "WinImage" to convert this to VHD image which I could mount in VirtualBox (only because I am familiar with it). I hit F12 in VirtualBox (after mounting a Windows Server CD-ROM to the machine) which booted  Windows Server off the CD and allowed me to start the recovery command prompt. I guess the conversion somehow striped the "dynamic" volumes as they could be seen now. I ran:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd and brought the OS back into the bootable list

>restart

For the first time Windows tried to boot but I got a BSOD so I figured it was just a Storage Controller error. I used WinImage to convert it back to a vmdk which I was able to boot in VMware Workstation by editing it to "IDE".

Successful boot!... and then just "uploaded" to the ESXi Hypervisor from VMworkstation after attaching to the host server.

0 Kudos