VMware Cloud Community
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

add wifi adapter in esxi

I just setup esxi 8 , I installed a new windows guest host and found that only wired network (vm network ) in the network adapter list .

I want my guest host can be connect internet via wifi , I need to add wifi adapter in it ? if yes , how to to it ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
zchris06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I don’t know if WiFi is even supported but I would check that the hardware is compatible: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php and if the manufacturer provides a driver.

Thanks,

Chris 

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

I checked my device is on the list .

would advise what can I do so that the guset OS can use wifi to connect internet ?

thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this adapter show as a network adapter in ESXi?

Have you used the adapter as an uplink port on a vSwitch?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

sorry , I am new to vmware  , I don't know how to check if adapter show as a network adapter in ESXi

would advise how to set it ?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

What I want is the ESXi use the static IP addr , the guest OS use the dynamic IP addr so that the same network segment user can access it

would advise how to do it ?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESXi will either "see" the network adapter and be able to use it as an uplink port for a vSwitch, or it won't be able to "see" it.

VMs have virtual NICs which are connected to VM port groups in a vSwitch, your physical NIC is then an uplink port which gives the vSwitch connectivity to the physical world.

Read more about the concepts here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-350344DE-483A-4...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

I read the link you provided , but sorry , I still not know what I need to do , what I need is setup a new vswitch ?

thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You didn’t answer the questions from my first reply on this post.

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

the wifi adapter not shown in esxi

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

if the wifi adapter not shown in esxi , would advise what is my next step ?

thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Then you're back to the very first reply, we don't know if your adapter is supported, ie. if ESXi has a driver for it.

Search here: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

You did say that it was on the list, but now you're saying it's not showing as an available adapter.

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

the adapter is on the compatiablity list but not shown on the esxi .

0 Kudos
zchris06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Then you need to install the drivers. The VMware compatibility site should provide the link to the drivers based on you ESXi version. If not, download it from the manufacturer.

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

would advise how to install the wifi adapter driver ?

thanks

0 Kudos