VMware Cloud Community
michlong
Contributor
Contributor

esx physical networking

Hey All,

i'm struggling with something and i realize its a real novice question, but thats what i am.

i have several ESX servers, and i am using hp blades, booting from SAN, SAN attached datastores etc, all that is working perfectly, not an issue.

the trouble i am having is networking and more specfically the physical networks on the esx servers.

each of the ESX servers has 2 physical network cards, currently the ESX server setup appears to team these cards and attach to vswif0, but what i really want is two seperate networks, one facing the outside world, and one simply shared between the ESX servers, i can segment this easily using the blade vcenter.

so, do i need to disconnect the vmnic from the vswif and create a new vswif? or can i just create a new vswif? again sorry for the newb questions

thanks i advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

First to clear up terminology - vswif refers to the Service Console port which is attached to a vswitch - and its to the vswitch that the the physical NICs are connected. Now on tto the physical Network - you always want to make sure you have redundancy in your network conections -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
michlong
Contributor
Contributor

i actually realized after i posted where i was going wrong.

understand the point about redundancy, but this is a lab, a large lab granted, but not concerned about redundancy for now,

thanks

0 Kudos