VMware Cloud Community
gallagauge
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5 free hypervisor?

I saw that there is a new version of esxi (version 5).

Will there be a version 5 of the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor or is this product going to stay at version 4.1?

0 Kudos
147 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe the FAQ hasn't been updated, but that says 8GB per CPU, up to 32GB max.

0 Kudos
GVD
Contributor
Contributor

J1mbo wrote:

Maybe the FAQ hasn't been updated, but that says 8GB per CPU, up to 32GB max.

If that was the case, they wouldn't have mentioned it as a change on http://blogs.vmware.com/rethinkit/2011/08/changes-to-the-vram-licensing-model-introduced-on-july-12-...

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To be fair, that page is ambigious at best.  Obviously like you I hope it is 32GB on a single socket.

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

According to the FAQ it is not 32GB / socket for the free version, its 32GB total per server.

This sucks, I had a project coming where the server is going to have 48GB in it with nearly all of it assigned and I wanted to avoid buying licenses.  Looks like I still will have to.  argh.

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

I think 32GB of pRAM and vRAM for the free hypervisor is fair.  I got an email about the updates this morning.

esxi5.png

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
alex555550
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well but 32GB isn`t really much today. Thanks to $ <> € RAM is cheap.

0 Kudos
WendellGee
Contributor
Contributor

Fred Peterson wrote:

According to the FAQ it is not 32GB / socket for the free version, its 32GB total per server.

This sucks, I had a project coming where the server is going to have 48GB in it with nearly all of it assigned and I wanted to avoid buying licenses.  Looks like I still will have to.  argh.

Well hey, I'd like to get everything for free too, but realistically if they just gave away enterprise-class capabilities, nobody would buy it out of the goodness of their hearts...

32 GB seems like a happy medium to me.  I think the vast majority of single-socket boxes and even most duals are not using more than that yet, and if you have a 48 GB ESXi server, well, that's not really a demo system is it?  I've always looked at the free edition as a way to get VMware's foot in the door in orgs that don't really get it yet ("look, give me that old server in the corner and the software is free"), and also as a way to quickly set up a test/dev environment.  It's not for doing production deployments.

The bottom line is yeah, they pooched up the new licensing at first, but from my point of view it's good enough now that I'm back to planning to upgrade to ESXi 5 rather than going to my management and suggesting Xen or Linux KVM.

But while I'm in wish-for-a-pony mode, can we get a certificate good for one gold bar with every free-edition license key? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TonyBerry
Contributor
Contributor

Robert Walford wrote:

I think 32GB of pRAM and vRAM for the free hypervisor is fair.  I got an email about the updates this morning.

I think 32GB per host is fair. It just so happens I use a Dell blade server at home and 4 of the 1955 blades are dual Xeon quad cores with 32GB of RAM (the developement cluster) and 4 are 1955 dual Xeon dual cores with 16GB of RAM (the sandbox cluster). The remaining 2 1955 blades are non-ESXi physical servers.

I haven't installed v5 on the sandbox cluster yet, maybe this weekend. I'm not too enthused about the v5 pricing model though. Pricing by allocated VM vRAM is not very fair. Worse case should be pricing by pRAM in the host. VMware knows where the greatest impact (i.e. $$$) is.

0 Kudos
GVD
Contributor
Contributor

TonyBerry wrote:

I think 32GB per host is fair. It just so happens I use a Dell blade server at home and 4 of the 1955 blades are dual Xeon quad cores with 32GB of RAM (the developement cluster) and 4 are 1955 dual Xeon dual cores with 16GB of RAM (the sandbox cluster). The remaining 2 1955 blades are non-ESXi physical servers.

Keep in mind that the 32 GB is (still) a vRAM limit (as well as pRAM limit) unless I'm mistaken.

This means that if you install Hypervisor 5.0 on your machines with 32 GB physical ram, you will NOT be able to overcommit your RAM. Of course, in some scenarios this is not important, but I just wanted to point that out.

Personally, I will not be using Hypervisor 5.0 on machines with more than 24 GB physical RAM. Running 32 GB vRAM on a 24 GB pRAM machine is still a fairly low overcommit that in most scenarios will not give you any trouble at all.

0 Kudos
biged95
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all the feed back.  I was going to download and set up a server using ESXi 5.0, but after reading this thread I will install in 2008 R2 with Hyper-V. Looks like I will slowly be moving to Hyper-V.  I get Educational Pricing, so it makes since.  I have not switched before because I believe ESXi is a better platform, but the new license is just not acceptable.

0 Kudos
tschuld
Contributor
Contributor

The new adjusted vRAM license levels announced late last week aren't acceptable??  :smileyconfused:

The free edition is now a flat 32G if I understand it correctly and the paid editions had a significant vRAM upgrade.

I went from needing 6 licenses per DL580 back to my original 4 for enterprise plus - I couldn't be happier about these changes (Well if they removed the CPU socket limits and just went with vRAM costing I'd be dancing in the streets).  Large VM's won't count more that 96G worse case against your vRAM entitlement (edition dependant I think) so the $22k plus in extra licensing argument for a single 1T VM argument dies there.

If cost is your only concern, vsphere's edu sku was never less than a Hyper-v one (we pay $340 roughly per socket for 2008R2 Data Center) and you would have needed to purchase DC licenses anyway in your vmware farm to be cost effective hosting Windows server VM's (if we run 4 servers per socket it's a break even cost with buying Windows Enterprise).

For me the math works out great:  I build 64G per socket, the entitlement is 96G giving me roughly a 33% overall oversubscription rate.  I buy one Ent+ and one Windows Datacenter per socket so I can stack my 20 Windows/Linux VM's per socket average on it.  I can't imagine trying to manage up to 80 mixed Vm's per Hyper-V host....

0 Kudos
GVD
Contributor
Contributor

Todd wrote:

The new adjusted vRAM license levels announced late last week aren't acceptable??  :smileyconfused:

The free edition is now a flat 32G if I understand it correctly and the paid editions had a significant vRAM upgrade.

I went from needing 6 licenses per DL580 back to my original 4 for enterprise plus - I couldn't be happier about these changes (Well if they removed the CPU socket limits and just went with vRAM costing I'd be dancing in the streets).  Large VM's won't count more that 96G worse case against your vRAM entitlement (edition dependant I think) so the $22k plus in extra licensing argument for a single 1T VM argument dies there.

If cost is your only concern, vsphere's edu sku was never less than a Hyper-v one (we pay $340 roughly per socket for 2008R2 Data Center) and you would have needed to purchase DC licenses anyway in your vmware farm to be cost effective hosting Windows server VM's (if we run 4 servers per socket it's a break even cost with buying Windows Enterprise).

For me the math works out great:  I build 64G per socket, the entitlement is 96G giving me roughly a 33% overall oversubscription rate.  I buy one Ent+ and one Windows Datacenter per socket so I can stack my 20 Windows/Linux VM's per socket average on it.  I can't imagine trying to manage up to 80 mixed Vm's per Hyper-V host....

This is a thread about the free hypervisor. Waving Enterprise Plus licenses around won't get you a whole lot of sympathy & understanding. Smiley Happy

For most people, the free hypervisor will work fine for their purposes at 32 GB vRAM, but it's not hard to imagine scenarios where previous free 4.1 gave you a lot more resources to play with than the new and 'improved' 32 GB vRAM of Hypervisor 5.0 gives you.

0 Kudos
tschuld
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did seem to get quite a bit OT there - sorry bout that :smileyblush: - been writing too many briefs and updated status reports and lost my way on this thread.

I was happy to see the 32G on the free edition - saved me from having to rebuild my 12 remote County Center hosts with Hyper-V.

The biggest issue I can see with 4.1 vs 5 though is that with vRAM oversubscription, a free V5 won't be of much use to an existing free V4.1 host with more than 24G of physcial RAM.

What's going to suck for me is my prototype/training host 32G box (ESXi free edition running ESXi trial editions within it for training/research) where I'm oversubscribed on my ram by 70% - I may have to drop my ESXi VM's down to 3G per of vRAM to make it work.

...Or just leave it V4.1 and install V5 ESXi trials inside it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Todd wrote:

If you're not interested in setting money on fire, yeah. Smiley Wink No but seriously, some of us were like "hey, maybe VMWare will match their new v5 with competitive pricing" when rumors of v5 were floating around. Now anyone outside of essentials (and some in essentials) are going to have to pay more if they want to maintain the ability to grow.

At least I can use free version at home again (8GB makes it so I'm at my pRAM, which means I can't overallocate, which means I might as well run XenServer since it comes with XenCenter).

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

wdroush1 wrote:

At least I can use free version at home again (8GB makes it so I'm at my pRAM, which means I can't overallocate, which means I might as well run XenServer since it comes with XenCenter).

It is not 8 GB and you can overallocate with the free product, since the change.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rickard wrote:

wdroush1 wrote:

It is not 8 GB and you can overallocate with the free product, since the change.

That's why I said "at least I can use it again", 8GB made it pretty useless compared to putting another hypervisor that comes with more features for free on it.

0 Kudos
0v3rc10ck3d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is really quite ridiculous, I've been looking on vmwares website for about 3 hours and can not for the life of me find a download link for ESXi 5.0 or vSphere HyperVisor 5.0

On this website http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/esxi-and-esx/faqs.html

It talks about ESXi 5.0, and theres even a link that says "learn how to download ESXi...which leads nowhere, to the faq, that doesnt tell you how to get it.... This is really frusterating, I want to upgrade my hosts from 4.1 to 5.0...how?

VCIX6 - NV | VCAP5 - DCA / DCD / CID | vExpert 2014,2015,2016 | http://www.vcrumbs.com - My Virtualization Blog!
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

0v3rc10ck3d wrote:

This is really quite ridiculous, I've been looking on vmwares website for about 3 hours and can not for the life of me find a download link for ESXi 5.0 or vSphere HyperVisor 5.0

The product has not been released yet, so that is the reason for lack of download links. Rumors says it will be quite soon.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
tschuld
Contributor
Contributor

It's only been announced, not released yet...

0 Kudos
0v3rc10ck3d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah... I see..

I've seen screenshots of the install process and people installing it with the ESXi 5.0 splash screen and everything...figured it was available. VMware also talks about it on the main page with links for "how to download it" that go nowhere, kind of misleading.

VCIX6 - NV | VCAP5 - DCA / DCD / CID | vExpert 2014,2015,2016 | http://www.vcrumbs.com - My Virtualization Blog!
0 Kudos