VMware Cloud Community
Tovrin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nfs41client fail to load

I'm attempting to upgrade from ESXi 6.5 to 7.0 and during hte loading process, I get a "nfs41client fail to load" error.  It sits there for a long while and then tells me I don't have a NIC.

Now bear in mind, this is an upgrade.  The ESXi 6.5 installation is working just fine.  It is an old server (Proliant DL160 G6), but I'm kind of surprised that it would bug out on that as it's still working well.  I'd like to upgrade to the latest version, so I can make sure I'm not exposed to security issues. 

Can anyone assist?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My guess is that your NICs used "vmklinux" drivers, which are no longer supported in ESXi 7.0:

What is the Impact of the VMKlinux Driver Stack Deprecation? - VMware vSphere Blog

Only the Gen 10 is supported by ESXi 7.0:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

And these are the supported NICs for ESXi 7.0:

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My guess is that your NICs used "vmklinux" drivers, which are no longer supported in ESXi 7.0:

What is the Impact of the VMKlinux Driver Stack Deprecation? - VMware vSphere Blog

Only the Gen 10 is supported by ESXi 7.0:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

And these are the supported NICs for ESXi 7.0:

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Tovrin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sadly there does appear to be a dependency on "vmklinux".  Short of installing a new NIC in my old beastie, it looks like there's no way around it.   As this old machine was basically a cast-off from an office and that I'm not prepared to get something else to replace it (it still running just fine), I guess I'll just have to stick with 6.5.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos