VMware Cloud Community
MoreInfo
Contributor
Contributor

"vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure" in Dell Optiplex 980 MT

Hi all,

I'm trying to install ESXi 4.1 on an Dell Optiplex 980 MT. I'm getting the error "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure". This error has been already reported in other discussions as on http://communities.vmware.com/message/1575227 and also on a few more links on the Internet,

but my desktop has different configuration. It is an Dell Optiplex 980 MT with the following:

-CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor 860 with VT

-RAM: 4GB,Non-ECC,1333MHz DDR3,2X2GB

-Video card: 256MB ATI RADEON HD 3450 Graphics Dual DVI and TV Out

-DVD ROM: 16X DVD+/-RW SATA

-Storage: On-board RAID 1 with 2 x 500 GB SATA drives

As in other posts here, I accept the license and after the progress bar, I get the error: "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure"

I have tried disabling the RAID on BIOS, changing to legacy mode, AHCI mode...but no one helped. Just a second before getting the error I saw a red text on the background, but is really difficult to stop the screen on this, so anyone can help me on this to make it work?

I have read that the problem could be related with not supported RAID controller, NIC or CPU? Is my config not supported for ESXi 4.1 ?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. Your error is likely due to ESXi not recognizing a NIC in the system. Once you get the error access the console by presssing ALT+F1. Login with root (no password). Then run esxcfg-nics -l (do you see any entries)? I would guess not. could can then use lspci to identify the PCI id for your NIC. You may just have to make a change to a file to support the NIC or add a driver.

The onboard SATA controller is likely software RAID. ESXi doesn't support RAID mode for such controllers so you'll have to use AHCI mode. You can check that ESXi can see the storage by running fdisk -l.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

MoreInfo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave,

On first place, thank you for answering. So first of all I'm trying to install ESXi on AHCI mode (no RAID for testing). One note, my NIC is integrated on board. When I enter the command "esxcfg-nics" I don't get any entries as I show you on attached Screenshot1.jpg.

I entered the command "lspci" and I get the results of attached Screenshot2.jpg.

I run also "lspci -p" and I get the info on attached Screenshot3.jpg. May be it's a silly question but how I can identify the PCI id of my NIC here? How I could change a file to support the NIC or add the required driver?

"fdisk -l" didn't retrieved any information, just blank. I should have now 2 SATA drives but they doesn't appear.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can try it as lspci | grep Network

Also if you use lspci | less it will control the output a bit better.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
goodMoods
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

it seems I have the same problem with a DELL PRECISION M6500:

• CPU: Intel core i7 - 740 QM (1.73 GHz, 6 MB, Quad Core

• RAM 4x4GB 13333 MHz DDR3,

• HDD: 500 GB Serial ATA,

• RAID-Controller: ALL SATA Hard Drives, NON Raid for 1 Hard Drive, set on AHCI mode.

My screenshotes look exactly identical to MoreInfo's one!

Dave, could you please explain the answer of MoreOnfos last question - "May be it's a silly question but how I can identify the PCI id of my NIC here? How I could change a file to support the NIC or add the required driver?" - step by step? What should I do in detail?

Thanks a lot.

Frank

--

bash: lspci | grep Network - results in:

000:009:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5761e Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

000:012:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Wireless 151-N WLAN Mini-Card

The first is the right one I guess ... But how to proceed further? What file I have to modify / add the ID: '000:009:00.0' ????

Message was edited by: goodMoods

0 Kudos
MoreInfo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave, Frank,

I think I now the reason of my problem: the onboard NIC on my Optiplex 980 MT (Intel 82578DM) is not supported by VMWare ESXi 4.1 as far as I have seen at the VMware Compatibility Guide site.

Finally I have ordered an additional Broadcom Netstreme 5722 PCIe NIC, plugged on a PCIe slot, disabled the onboard NIC and voilá! ESXi installs with no issues, so Frank may be you can try with this NIC model on your Dell system...

This link was helpful for me:

http://arstechnica.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1117077

Now I'm working on getting a RAID PCI card working with my 2 x 500GB SATA drives, as ESXi doesn't support the onboard RAID...

Kind regards,

Marcos

0 Kudos
MoreInfo
Contributor
Contributor

One more comment,

The correct description of the supported NIC I'm using (it's on the VMWare Compatibility Guide) is: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

Kind regards,

Marcos

0 Kudos
DentalEngineKen
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Thanks for the tip on ACHI. I am using a hosted server that was pre-loaded with CentOS. I was connected through the IPMI interface and started my ESXi install. I was having some issues so I had the support team format the drives and he must have reset the BIOS to default, which had the ACHI mode turned off. I just had them enable it and I'm back in business now too.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos