VMware Cloud Community
filter44
Contributor
Contributor

storage monitoring not working after upgrade to esxi 8 - install a CIM provider for your storage

we have upgraded our ESXi server from  ESXi 6.7 EP23 to ESXi 8.0 GA built 20513097 from the latest available custom HPE iso from your website: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI80-HPE&productId=1345

Name:  VMware-ESXi-8.0.0-20513097-HPE-800.0.0.11.1.0.17-Dec2022.iso

Release Date:    2022-12-20

Build Number:  20513097

However after upgrade we have a problem with storage monitoring. In monitor/hardware/storage there are no data available and get warning: "The Small Footprint CIM Broker Daemon (SFCBD) is running, but no data has been reported. You may need to install a CIM provider for your storage adapter."

I have installed ESXi 8 from latest available HPE custom ISO also tried to upgrade server firmware from latest available SPP however it did not help.

Our server is: HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10, it should be compatible with esxi 8.

How can I fix it? I really need to monitor storage. 

thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterL9
Contributor
Contributor

I hit this thread while searching for a solution for this exact problem.

We've also used the HPE custom ISO and are facing the same problem on DL325 and DL380 systems (with both MegaRAID and SmartArray controllers).

I've tried the usual "install SMIS provider" workflow, which led to the SFCBD beeing able to start, but this did not solve the issue.

While I haven't used any other custom ISO or upgraded to 8.0 otherwise, I think this issue is with HPE's ISO rather than ESXi8.

---

Edit:

I opened a support case with HPE regarding the issue.

The answer I got is a reminder from the HPE engineering team:

Smx-provider package is set to retire from Gen10 servers onward and we are recommending customers to remove the same going further.
There is no additional development/research happening on smx-provider.
Customers could monitor drives from ILO/AMS and One View if configured.

When looking for SMIS providers for LSI cards, the latest download seems to be for vSphere 7.0 ... and they (Broadcom) own vmWare, as far as I remember. So I, personally, don't expect the functionality to be available in the future.

So the answer to "How can I fix it?" probably lies somewhere between "You can't." and "End of support for ESXi 7.0 is in April 2025". 

0 Kudos
BCMSupport
Contributor
Contributor

MegaRAID Storage Manager and LSA required SMIS

Use LWA which is designed to work without SMIS support

Latest LWA for ESXi 7.x and 8.x

MR 7.27

Version:

10/13/2023ESXi

0 Kudos