VMware Cloud Community
insureme
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade path ESXi4 to EXS4

I'd like to upgrade my ESXi4 server to ESX4. can this be done without starting over? I'd prefer to not have to rebuild the seven servers i'm runnign ont his box, and i don't have a host alrge enough to migrate all the VM's to. we're a small shop and only run two attached storage vm hosts.

We help those in need so when we are in need we'll be helped. Isn't that what IT people are for.

We help those in need so when we are in need we'll be helped. Isn't that what IT people are for.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Unfortunately, you will have to start over. Check out this recent discussion. It contains some information about the scripted install option, which would at least allow you to keep your VMFS datastore housing your VMs intact.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
insureme
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i kind of figured that would be the case. the scripted install option to preserve the Datastore. do you know how reliable that is? Just curiouse, as an option. my assumption would be once you've started you're commited to it though right?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

When done properly, it is very reliable. If at all possible, it would be very beneficial to build out a test system and do a few test runs with it. That way you shouldn't get any surprises when you do the production environment. Any way that you choose to do the install - still make sure to have good backups, just in case something does happen.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos