VMware Cloud Community
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere client on Windows 7 rc

Has anybody managed to get the vsphere client working on Windows 7, it installed fine but when I try and login to an esx server, I get an error:

Error Parsing the server "192.168.1.10" "clients.xml" file Login will continue contact your system administrator

Clicking ok gives me another error

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastrcture.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

Clicking ok returns me to the login dialogue.

I know Windows 7 isn't released yet but as it's so close I would of thought vmware would of tested it.

Brett

0 Kudos
211 Replies
RColbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Accessing VMware Server 2.0 is not an officially supported feature of any of the VI3/vSphere clients.

It has limited functionality w/ the older VI clients (ESX 3.0) so you would need to install that client in addition to the vSphere client.

0 Kudos
wuestenfuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out, I was not aware of that accessing VMWare Server 2.0 with the VI client is unsupported.

But it worked fine so far on XP and now doesn't on Win7 (at least x64) with the IDENTICAL software. So there is still something wrong with it on this platform which may be worth fixing.

0 Kudos
wuestenfuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it looks like *I* can now tell you the solution:

The vSphere client 4.0 simply can't connect to VMWare Server 2.0 because it is not designed to do so. But the VI Client 2.5 can do! And it has always been that way. It does not matter where one tries to use vSphere client 4.0, if on XP32 or on Win7x64 to access a VMWare Server 2.0 - it never works.

The point is: one simply installs BOTH vSphere client 4.0 and VI client 2.5 on the same PC and then there is only ONE icon to start with. And depending on the VMWare server one then connects to, it launches the correct client for it. Cool.

I just was not aware of this because on my old XP32 PC I originally had VI client 2.5 installed and later "upgraded" to vSphere client 4.0, not recognizing that it does not "upgrade" from 2.5 to 4.0 but simply installs 4.0 beneath 2.5. Now on my new Win7x64 PC I only installed the 4.0 client and thus did not have the 2.5 one at all. And all I had to do now to solve the problem was to add the VI client 2.5, too. Everything works fine now like I need it.

0 Kudos
autolux
Contributor
Contributor

I've been attemping to use these fixes without luck.

So i've uninstalled the vsphere client I was using, now I've literally been looking on the vmware website for 20minutes and I cannot find a convenient link to download the updated vsphere client for windows 7 x64.

Could somebody please put me out of my misery...?

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It is not possible to download the vSphere client from the VMware website. Fastest way to get it is to download the latest ESXi 4.0 and search for the installation file inside the iso-image.

If needed, I've send you an PM with a link hosted by my company.

Salutations,

Photubias

0 Kudos
autolux
Contributor
Contributor

this is bordering on ridiculous just to download a simple client.

the latest ESXi 4 ISO listed under support & downloads dates back to 2009/05/21, which is going to be the version I already have and have installed on my ESXi hosts.

I just need the updated vsphere client, so I can actually connect to my vCenter/ESXi hosts on a Windows 7 x64bit machine..

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I said, check your Private Messages. A separate link was provided there...

0 Kudos
autolux
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for providing a link Photubias, most kind of you.

Frustration was directed towards vmware not having a link for this easily available.

0 Kudos
manoova
Contributor
Contributor

My problem was slightly different. This thread kept on being returned while I was googling so I thought I would post my experience here so that it may save someone the many hours of frustration I have experienced.

My setup:

• Windows 7 Professional (32 bit)

• Microsoft Security Essentials

My problem: I could not get the vSphere client installer to run.

I excluded the installer file location in MS Security Essentials but this made no difference.

Solution: From Task Manager I killed the following process: 'MsMpEng.exe' (AntiMalware Service Executable). Once this was disabled I was able to successfully run and install the client.

0 Kudos
Fatman2142
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Could you please elaberate on the systems properties section of your solution??!!! like where do I go and what program did you use.

Thanks

0 Kudos
virtualserver4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I was getting this error “error parsing the server clients.xml file” and “The type initializer for “virtualinfrastructure.utils.httpwebrequestproxy’ threw an exception”.

I found that this was happening because of latest update of Windows.. Uninstall-ed the same and its working fine now!

-Virtual

0 Kudos
manuaparis
Contributor
Contributor

Perfect it works fine! thanks

0 Kudos