VMware Cloud Community
BlueDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

\[Backup]Atempo Time Navigator (Tina 4.1 for vmware)

Hi,

I've just read that Atempo will make an Agent for ESX Infrastructure :

http://www.atempo.com/no_cache/us/news-and-events/press-releases/index.html?AtempoNewsMode=detail&ui...

Have anyone some informations about this (Time Navigator 4.1) ?

How does it really works ?

What it needs ?

Does it support the Virtual Infrastructure 3 (Virtual Center 2 and ESX Server 3 ?)

Is there some advantage in using this feature when you could have a VCB Proxy ? (i think no but if you have some experiences about this product, you're welcome)

thanx for all responses !

And have a nice day on VMTN Forums Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BlueDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yop, so here is some informations.

Tina 4.1 use an agent in the ESX Service Console wich is not, at this time, supported by VMWare.

The agent execute some scripts in order to snapshot the VM, Backup the VM and ask ESX to merge the snpashot (like another free scripts you could find on the net)

I've got some informations about a new GUI that works with VCB, but it's not official at this time (so no VCB support).

Here it is...

0 Kudos
Mikael_Tissandi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks blue dragon for the informations,

Do you test the TINA agent on the VCB proxy? Do you have more information about the compatibility between both? and the support from VMware and tina parts?

Regards

Mikael

MT
0 Kudos
BlueDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Smiley Happy

yes, Tina client (3.6, 3.7, 4.1) on the VCB Proxy works Fine, because you only need to backup some directories on the windows 2003 SP1 server (the directories where VCB put its VM's snapshot).

I don't know if VMWare support the Tina client with VCB, and i think this is not important, as the Tina Client is on a Windows 2003 operating System and you only Backup a directory on this server => there's no interecation between VCB and Tina in this case. Just start the VCB Backup of your VM, and when it's done, backup the VM directory with your Tina Client.

Atempo has just released the module i'v talked in the previous post.

Here's the real name :

"Time Navigator for VMware with VCB"

You need the Tina 4.1 with patch 2523.

Support the file-level backup and the VM-level backup of VCB.

As long as i know, VMWare doesn't (won't ?) support any Atempo products. But like i say, tina client...backingup a directory.... what's wrong ? Smiley Happy VMWare will contnue to support VCB with this configuration, as long as you don't use the "Time Navigator for VMware with VCB".

Please check this directly with Atempo/VMWare and post Smiley Happy to see what they're saying

In fact,

0 Kudos
Mikael_Tissandi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We have some trouble here for backing up VM from the VCB proxy with TINA for VMware VCB. Did you have some issue with this version. My problem is as follow: We manage to backup (full and incremental) a test vm register in one of the two ESX environnement we have...but if we make a VMotion to put the vm on the other ESX server then TINA for VCB could not make the backup properly and crash. We have follow the step by step procedure (change the name of the ESX from the config file ..etc) but there is something strange behing that....Could you provide me your procedure in order to test it on my plateform.

Merci d'avance de ton aide

Regards

Mikael

MT
0 Kudos