VMware Cloud Community
minoch11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disaster recovery for VMware View

I am trying to desing a disaster recovery site for environment vmware view about 100 VDI.

In headquarter i have: - Storage Equallogic PS6110 the same in DR site

- Datacenter, 1 Cluster,

- 1 vCenter, 1 Connection server, 1 replica server, 1 SQL server, Active directory

Pls some help how can i design the DR site? The headquarter is in production.

without need to use SRM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you realise what RPO and RTO you should to keep in case of disaster?

What distance between your primary and DR site?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you realise what RPO and RTO you should to keep in case of disaster?

What distance between your primary and DR site?

0 Kudos
minoch11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes of course, thank you, the distance is 3 Km.

0 Kudos
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are your virtual desktops pool floating with redirected profiles/persona management and so on? DR this types of VDI seem to be more simple than individual destops in VMware View.

You can replicate user's data and profiles on a file shares (for example w/ DFS) to secondary site and after disaster simple recreate floating desktops for all affected users.

Read more information here: http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=1203 and http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=506

What about RPO? How many information can be loosed in case of Disaster? Can it be time stamp of last incterementa backup on yesterday evening, or you need some more? Did your storage has any replication technology? Also, how quickly your VDI should power on after disaster?

What about users? Where they will actualy work in case disaster? Is it planned to remote connection from internet or some work places in secondary site?

minoch11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what about replicating somme vm's that can be critical without using or replicating view connection server?

and after replicating those vm's, we use rdp connection to those vm's (with MSTSC OR Rdesktop) so every user have to log to it's vm with name ,

it will work? and if it will work can users see there presistente disks?

because my case obligate me to not use dfs or reoaming profiles, juste persistente disk,

so i replicate persistent disks datastor and a volume with critical vm's (linked clone pools and fullfm pools) that can be acced by rdp,

my secoud qustion is :

is vcenter have those informations ? VMFS/VOLUMS/UUID of the datastores ,

if i unpluge storage cables physically from a host the UUID will desepear from vmfs/volums/..... path ? or shold i desmount it manually ,?

i want to use the samùe UUID of the original datastore in the replicated one (by making the original one offline to avoide confelcts ) so i dont have to register all vmx's its possible .?

i'm using SAN equalogic replication , and don't have probleme with time of failure i can go to 30 minutes of disaster ,

i want to use juste one way replication no failback ,

thank in advance

0 Kudos