VMware Horizon Community
dsidler
Contributor
Contributor

Background Blur with client 2206

Hi all,

According to the release notes and the compatibility matrix, we should get background blur with the latest 2206 client on Windows. Anyone seen this working irl? Using latest Teams client  1.5.00.17261 on host. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@dsidler 

It looks like MS Teams only supports it on AVD, not (yet) on Citrix and VMware (this was an error in the MS roadmap apparently) 

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
PeteJohns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Release notes for 2206 make it as clear as day that blurred backgrounds are coming for vmware. 

We've seen a couple of times features appearing in the Horizon client and then Microsoft pushing the feature later. I'm checking every day for the July release of Teams....

Also of note is that the release notes for 2206 suggest support of HID on headsets, something that hasn't been there since the start (yet Skype had it). Also it seems to treat the default microphone from the underlying machine properly, which is a weird issue to only be fixing now (the VDI desktop occasionally picks up random audio devices....Skype never used to do that).

I've seen on community sites that Microsoft have suggested they are doing blurred backgrounds for VMWare and Citrix, but no confirmed dates. It does seem weird that this feature is suddenly dropping - unless there is a mistake  - but it's possible since getting the hosted VDI working with blurred backgrounds there wasn't much else work to do.

There's nothing on the 365 roadmap for VDI at all anymore either. So:

Hopeful me says: Microsoft are now looking to make VDI feature parity with non-VDI so don't bother listing VDI features on the roadmap any more, it's up to the venders now and it's all happening imminently.

Cynical me says: Microsoft are only interested in their own VDI and they've done enough for now, Citrix and VMWare be damned. 

0 Kudos
PeteJohns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anybody seen or heard of any update on this feature? The latest Teams client still doesn't bring it in for VDI - is it genuinely an error on the release notes or is it still pending?

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone have any update if background blur works with VMware Horizon VDI?

0 Kudos
jimbeem
Contributor
Contributor

Background blur is working for quite a while now, we are on 2206 on client and agent side (tough it should only be a Client feature)

There are also some predefined additional backgrounds, only uploading your own background is still not available.

0 Kudos
BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are on 2209 and don't seem to have any option to blur the background. Is it a Windows client only feature?

0 Kudos