VMware Horizon Community
mamue
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity planning

I guess, i am nr. 2^64 asking this question, but i think my requiernments are a bit different.

I have ~160 Clients and would plan for 200. 99% of all clients would be school-PC, which means that I have many different office applications (MS-Office, OpenOffice, medical practice software in different types e.g. veterinarian plus many others. No video, CAD what so ever). A client disk is currently using 40-60 GB of software. Ideally all clients would have an identical set of installed applications. At the begin of every lesson (90min), about 120 PC/VMware-sessions would have to be started simultaneously.

I read and understood that i can run 4-6 clients per core, so a host with 40 cores would do. Also I think i have to use the premier package as it provides linked clones. My idea is to run two ESX-servers in hot standby and use a shared iSCSI or SAN storage. I did not find any information of how many space is used per linked clone. There does already exist a storage for user data, so i know how much space is used there. If a linked clone uses only a few megabytes i could buy small and fast disks otherwise i would have to take bigger but slower ones.

Aside from the information that HA is possible with ESX i could not find much. Is there a licence server? What happens to the licences when one server crashes, does the second one get them automaticall?

Thanks a lot

Malte

0 Kudos
0 Replies