VMware Horizon Community
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ctrl-Alt-Ins and Ctrl-Alt-Del fail in View 4.0.1 with PCoIP

If my users lock their virtual desktop , it's no longer possible to unlock, because Ctrl-Alt-Ins and also the option "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" in the View client don't do anything. There's just no response. Ctrl-Alt-Del responds, but that's on the local PC or thinclient. I can actually unlock these VM's if I connect to them using the VIC. Has anybody seen this behavior?

Thanks,

-Poort

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody with any suggestions? If the desktops can't be locked that's a showstopper for this project. Tia.

-Poort

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

THe only issue I have with Control-Alt-Delete/Insert is when using the VIC inside of the VM. I can lock and unlock my workstation all day (I'm on a PCoIP Hardware client and have been for over 2-months). Are you using the software client?

Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What OS does the guest use? WinXP, Vista or Win7?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I havent seen this issue but I have removed the requirement to need to press ctrlaltdel\insert in a gpo so that when they lock their VM they just need to type the password to unlock it.

For locking I have made a shortcut to

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

called "lock" on the taskbar with a picture of the lock for the icon

Works for us

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guest OS used is Windows 7. BTW: it did work for a while without problems.

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I use the software client. Both on pc's and on Thinclients. Guest OS is Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I havent seen this issue but I have removed the requirement to need to press ctrlaltdel\insert in a gpo so that when they lock their VM they just need to type the password to unlock it.

For locking I have made a shortcut to

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

called "lock" on the taskbar with a picture of the lock for the icon

Works for us

</div>I've done the exact same thing actually, but I had to turn off this policy because it killed my SSO (for new machines, with nobody logged on), also when using PCOIP, and not when using RDP. Perhaps these issues are related.

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now you come to mention it I thought I had fixed this issue when the desktops where getting asked for credentials twice due to the a security message. Moved that to View and removed the message which worked but then stopped. I advised users to work around it but this must be related to me doing the lock change.

Just need to work out with the users which is more annoying for them, ctrlaltins or logging in twice.

Anyone know what the status for a fix on this?

0 Kudos
ngruetter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

delete auto out of office message

Nachricht geändert durch ngruetter

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

indeed.

Sorry I dont understand German. Could you type in English please

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's an automatically generated email, an out-of-office. I wonder how that happens. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
oneamongsixbill
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please verify that the following registry key exists on the guest (Win7 in your case) and has value set to either 1 or 3

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\SoftwareSASGeneration type REG_DWORD

If the key does not exist then create it and set it to value 1 and this should fix your problem.

If the key exist but has a value 2 then change it to 3 ( Do a logical OR of 1 with 2 )

If the key does not exist/or has incorrect value then we cannot send Ctrl Alt Del and in addition SSO may also not work properly.

By default the view installer manages the key properly. However we have identified a scenario that may happen during modify/repair option of the installer and the key may be incorrectly deleted. We will fix this problem soon but in the meanwhile you can use the above workaround.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did what you suggested, and it didn't quite work, but you got me far enough to solve it. The SoftwareSASGeneration already existed, and was already on 3. I also tried it with the value 1, but that seemed to make no difference. However, when I copied the complete key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System from another, working system, my problem was solved. I don't know which individual key was wrong for me, but my problem is solved anyway. Thanks al lot for it. I'd like to give you points for solving my problem, but it seems I can't because I already marked your entry as helpful. Sorry. :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos