VMware Horizon Community
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Horizon 7.0.3 Connection Server PowerCLI - does not load snap-ins or modules

The following VMware blog does not correlate with the manual:  Saying Farewell to Snapins! - VMware PowerCLI Blog - VMware Blogs but unfortunately, running >Get-Module –ListAvailable VM* returns nothing. The latest release notes 7.0.3 seem to indicate that the plugin\module names have changed as well. And so I would expect the API to follow the 7.0.3 numbering but it is at 7.0.2

The online manual states that there is an InitViewCmdlets.ps1 in the  C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\extras folder but all I find is:

Directory: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\extras\PowerShell

Mode                LastWriteTime    Length Name                                                                                                                     

----                -------------    ------ ----                                                                                                                     

-a---        11/27/2016  7:55 PM      12581 add-snapin.ps1                                                                                                           

-a---        11/27/2016  7:55 PM      1146 uninstall-snapin.ps1

Running add-snapin.ps1 results in the following error:

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View> C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\extras\PowerShell\add-snapin.ps1

Loading VMware View PowerCLI

add-PSSnapin : No snap-ins have been registered for Windows PowerShell version 4.

At C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\extras\PowerShell\add-snapin.ps1:25 char:2

+    add-PSSnapin $view_snapin_name

+    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (VMware.View.Broker:String) [Add-PSSnapin], PSArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AddPSSnapInRead,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddPSSnapinCommand

Welcome to VMware View PowerCLI

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I learned that the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin\PowershellServiceCmdlets.dll does not get registered unless the PowerCLI is run elevated at least once or run the add-snapin.ps1 once elevated.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I learned that the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin\PowershellServiceCmdlets.dll does not get registered unless the PowerCLI is run elevated at least once or run the add-snapin.ps1 once elevated.

Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Shouldn't registration of that dll be part of the installation process?  Hopefully this is considered a bug.

0 Kudos