VMware Horizon Community
Ugotmail8
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View and Windows Search\Indexing Advice

Against all documented advice, we have enabled Windows Search\Indexing on our Windows 7 Gold image that we use for our persistent desktop pool.

When search\indexing is enabled each VM creates an index file under the users profile on the file system.

We now want to move to a non-persistent pool but need to avoid the recreation of this index file each time a VM is trashed. Does anyone know if redirecting the location of this file to a network share would work?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I see you got an answer on this.  I'm curious if you tested it and if so what was the outcome? 

0 Kudos
Ugotmail8
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I received no replies so any answers are still welcome.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

How do you plan on performing the redirect to the network share?   Is there a setting that allows you to specify locations of the index file?   What is the proximity of the VDI desktop and the network share?    What are your expectations from a performance standpoint?  

0 Kudos
Ugotmail8
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you can specify a new location for the index database.

We use Profile Unity and thought we could redirect the index file location to a file share.

As an update, I have ran some tests and you can reattach the index files to another desktop – which surprised me some what.

0 Kudos