VMware Horizon Community
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to redirect Yubikey?

Hello Community,

I installed smartcard redirection with the Horizon Agent but my Horizon Client doesn't recognizes my Yubikey 5C NFC as USB-device.

So I'am unable to redirect the Yubikey. Can someome tell me what I do wrong?

However, unlike Horizon Client, my VMware Workstation recognizes the Yubikey as USB-device (see screenshots).

  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

Can you please elaborate on how you are wishing to use your Yubikey in your session? Because there are different ways of using it (e.g. for FIDO and WebAuthn) or as an actual smartcard with a certificate on it.

If you are looking at the smart card part please also review this KB article:
Smartcard Authentication with Yubikey does not work when connecting to a Horizon View Agent Desktop ... 

TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @michelkeus_stwg 

thank you for that link. I will give it a try tomorrow. The mini driver is already installed but I will do this again with the workstation. 

My goal is to use Yubikey for M365 2FA (FIDO). 

0 Kudos
ifsdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried opening the VM in Worstation and yes it worked, when directly redirecting the Yubikey. It was perfectly visible with it's drivers.

But my major problem is still, that my VMware Horizon Client doesn't recognizes the Yubikey. If this problem is not solved I will never see the Yubikey inside the connected session.

Any ideas for that?

0 Kudos
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Today I was at the office where we also have a Horizon Environment but I was able to see my YubiKey and was able to pass it on too:

michelkeus_stwg_0-1689087666146.pngmichelkeus_stwg_1-1689087767203.png

For me this all worked out of the box. Which versions of the client and Horizon are you using? So your wish should definitely be possible.

Our farm is currently running Horizon 8.8 (2212) and I am using the 2303 / 8.9.0 (21444108) Client on Windows 11. 

Please do note that I first actually have to start a session before I was able to pass-on the YubiKey

TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our farm is on the latest version - 8.10 (2306), clients too. 

It is so weird that I don’t have any little idea. There is no restriction, nothing! 

Yes I know that I need to start a desktop before I'am able to redirect a device. 

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

michelkeus_stwg had a good point
‎.

In addition to USB redirection feature that you guys seem to be using, the latest release 2306/8.10 adds FIDO2 support the first time and Yubikey is the device that we have verified for FIDO2. The release has gone alive last week and you could try the new feature out to see if it meets your need better.
0 Kudos
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Based on the reply from @ofox I dug up the release notes for the latest release. 

They state this for the Agent configuration:

• This release has added the FIDO2 Redirection feature for Windows Client and Agent, which enables users to take advantage of local endpoint FIDO2 components in the remote desktop or remote application. New GPO settings for this feature are Allow FIDO2 Authenticator Access which determines whether applications in remote desktops can access the endpoint's FIDO2 authenticators and FIDO2 Allow List which allows you to specify applications that can access endpoint's FIDO2 authenticators

I am not sure what the default setting for this would be but I can imagine that this may default to off in it's unset state. Can you check your ADMX and see what it says? Perhaps having it configured will (in your case) re-enable the use of the YubiKey. As I already showed; on older versions this already works without any problems (probably because it is just seen as another USB device). 

Edit:

I found the settings in the documentation:

michelkeus_stwg_0-1689237987973.png

michelkeus_stwg_5-1689238093531.png

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very late reply from me but I had to deal with other issues first ...

I have read about the FIDO2 Redirection and I did a configuration for it (with DEM Computer policy).

It works with all browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox - the defaults in the policy) but it doesn't work with all the O365 Apps although I addded them to the FIDO2 Allow List (chrome.exe;firefox.exe;msedge.exe;outlook.exe;winword.exe;excel.exe;visio.exe;powerpnt.exe;onenote.exe;OneDrive.exe;teams.exe)

Has anyone tried this with the O365 Apps?

0 Kudos