VMware Horizon Community
moogeboo
Contributor
Contributor

Single vCenter or separate vCenters?

Hi,

We have a small View 5.0 deployment now.  We're anticipating 300 users this year (150 users in each location), but will grow as time goes on.

We have 2 main datacenters in the US working in an active/active configuration (meaning both data centers house applications).  These datacenters are connected via a 300mb MPLS link.

We have a View deployment in Datacenter A right now, but will be building out another View cluster in Datacenter B. 

My question is, should we place the new View deployment for Datacenter B under the vCenter control in Datacenter A and have both View sites under the control of a single vCenter, or would it be better to have separate deployments, where the View environment in Datacenter B would have its own vCenter server, etc. 

I know there is no "easy" way to manage multiple View Vcenters, but that is coming in the future for View.  Still, considering DR and availability, I would assume multiple, separate View environments would be preferred. 

Please chime in on your perspective.

Thank you,

Mooge

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Based on the way that View components communicate it would be best to have a separate vCenter on each side of the link. The View Agents installed on the desktops report back to the View Connection Servers regularly and if this communication is interrupted for any reason issues will arise in your View cluster.

If you have two independent instances of View/vCenter you can also use the individual sites for DR if needed.

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos