VMware Horizon Community
connexus_bryon
Contributor
Contributor

USB Scanners

Can VDI support usb ports at the local level for scanners??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
frisbyvlieger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This topic might help you a bit

In VDI, you're having VM's installed on your ESX server, and VM's on an ESX do not support USB. Some connection brokers are starting to use USB over IP but I didn't have the opportunity to test it.

Hope this answered your question a bit.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

well baring in mind that RDP can not redirect TWAIN traffic I would say no, I would recommend that your investigate a solution call RemoteScan found here

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It depends. When using VDM 2 and our USB device redirection most USB devices will work. Currently this requires that you use a Windows XP or Vista client and the VDM Client for Windows. We do not have an HCL of tested devices. If you are interested in trying it test your devices first. We have tested a lot of devices including scanners but not extensively.

WP

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We used the VDM 2 to sucesfully redirect our Canon DR-2050C to the guest VM; however VDM2 (Virtual Desktop Manager) requires you to be both an Admin on the connecting machine and an Admin on the VM for USB redirection to work correctly.

0 Kudos
reccles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You Should take a look at the Wyse TCX Solution.

0 Kudos
BrianHCox
Contributor
Contributor

I would definately recommend the Wyse TCX USB option. Cost is about $25 per client but it works great on the Wyse S10 and V10L model devices. It also does not require admin rights to run, just to initial install the driver on the VM though. If you don't have a Wyse rep go through the website to get a demo. I tested it with an Ambir travel scanner and it even worked across a DSL connection through VPN.

0 Kudos
reccles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can download from here

)

You will need an evaluation lic key and and S10 or V10L, you should be able to get this from your Wyse Partner or Wyse Rep

Note you need the V10L to support the Multi Monitor and Multi Media Options.

0 Kudos
redsox04
Contributor
Contributor

I have done some recent testing with an Epson flatbed scanner, DockPort insurance card scanner, & CardScan business card scanner and they all worked without issue. I am using the Wyse V10L thin client and my XP VM has the Wyse USB Virtualizer software installed. As the others mentioned, you need to contact a Wyse rep or partner to get an evaluation license in order for it to work. Good luck!

0 Kudos