VMware Horizon Community
Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update from 7.0 to 7.0.3

Hi All!

We are getting ready to update our Horizon View Environment from 7.0 to 7.0.3.

This is my first time doing this and would like to know if there are any gotcha's we need to be worried about. I had a few questions:

1. Can this be done during normal business hours without disrupting production

2. Will we need to update the Horizon Agents immediately afterwards on all VMs or is the current 7.0 agent compatible.

I read through the documentation, however, like I said, this is my first time doing this. Due to one of our staff leaving, I am taking over the VDI role. I am familiar with everything, but have never had to do a update.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The upgrade is fairly straightforward. As with any upgrade make sure you have backups and take snapshots of the VMs just in case.

As to whether you can do this during working hours depends on your configuration. Do you have multiple Connection Servers in front of a load balancer? If your Composer server was offline for a period of time would operations and the service be compromised? You also need to consider how users connect. Do you use tunneled connections as that would preclude rebooting connections servers during production time. These are typically only used on Connection Servers that are paired with Security Servers for external access (note that we now recommend using Access Point instead of Security Server as it avoids this)

Start with the Composer server, run the installer and upgrade. Make sure to select the existing certificate when asked, don't generate a new one. You can change this using a command line if you get this wrong.

Next upgrade the Connection Servers. On the load balancer I tend to disable one of Connection Servers and run the upgrade on it. Again this is a straightforward upgrade process so not much to worry about here. When it has rebooted logon onto the admin console (use the server URL, not the load balanced URL) to check the dashboard that everything is functional. Once you are happy re-enable it on your load balancer, wait a little to make sure your load balancer realises that the server is alive. Move on to the next Connection Server and follow the same process of disabling in the load balancer, etc.

The 7.0 agents will work fine with Connection Servers running 7.0.3 but you will want to upgrade sooner than later to take advantage of the new features. You should also look to upgrade the client to version 4.3 to match.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The upgrade is fairly straightforward. As with any upgrade make sure you have backups and take snapshots of the VMs just in case.

As to whether you can do this during working hours depends on your configuration. Do you have multiple Connection Servers in front of a load balancer? If your Composer server was offline for a period of time would operations and the service be compromised? You also need to consider how users connect. Do you use tunneled connections as that would preclude rebooting connections servers during production time. These are typically only used on Connection Servers that are paired with Security Servers for external access (note that we now recommend using Access Point instead of Security Server as it avoids this)

Start with the Composer server, run the installer and upgrade. Make sure to select the existing certificate when asked, don't generate a new one. You can change this using a command line if you get this wrong.

Next upgrade the Connection Servers. On the load balancer I tend to disable one of Connection Servers and run the upgrade on it. Again this is a straightforward upgrade process so not much to worry about here. When it has rebooted logon onto the admin console (use the server URL, not the load balanced URL) to check the dashboard that everything is functional. Once you are happy re-enable it on your load balancer, wait a little to make sure your load balancer realises that the server is alive. Move on to the next Connection Server and follow the same process of disabling in the load balancer, etc.

The 7.0 agents will work fine with Connection Servers running 7.0.3 but you will want to upgrade sooner than later to take advantage of the new features. You should also look to upgrade the client to version 4.3 to match.

Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the information!

With this being my first time doing this sort of upgrade, I feel a lot better about it now.

0 Kudos